Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #21

Default Wondering

Also I've seen some ads on airless airbags as a replacement was wondering if anybody has use them and how they work
Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc197 View Post
Also I've seen some ads on airless airbags as a replacement was wondering if anybody has use them and how they work

Hadn't heard of them until I ran across a display for them at a local 4X4 shop a few months ago. They appear to be a heavy duty Timbren style urethane bump stop type construction, but also sealed to hold some air inside to add some extra capacity. I am suspect they would only be marginally better than a non air Timbren style, but have not used or heard of anyone that has used them. Timbren style overloads hold load OK, but tend to be one size fits all weights and are usually quite progressive. Personally, I prefer split fill airbags for their versatility and smooth ride.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:24 AM   #23
Gold Member

I have the Firestone set up with inside controls and on-board compressors so it is very easy to play with pressures and I have found mine likes to be around 80psi.

The other big reason I like them is as leveling aids when setting up at a site - they can correct quite a lot in some cases. You just have to remember and air them back up before you drive anywhere
Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Jimc197: I don't know enough about PW to know how different a 2000 is from my 1997. I run fronts at 55lbs, rears at 80lbs and airbags at 35. I also am running Michelins.....but will take .boB's comment into consideration when I replace...thanks .boB....I just haven't experienced the handling issues described except in very high winds. I went from Phoenix to Glacier last summer and, honestly, didn't think much about the driving. Also have been in Cedar Breaks (steep climb with sheer cliffs), Zion and Bryce.....Madiera Canyon near Tucson. I'm frequently in the AZ White Mountains and up on the rim. But whatever my experience with my particular RV, you should do what it takes to feel comfortable. Hope you successfully resolve your issue.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #25

I bought a set for my Roadtrek 2000 (on a Dodge Chassis) last year. They made a dramatic difference in handling and stavility. You may need to shop for a set that works on your specific vehicle (dunno if your is a dodge or Chevy).

Here's some info:

https://supersteerparts.com/?s=space...t_type=product

Video
https://youtu.be/_-adLpd-Htk

John Henderson
John@hendersonslineup.com
888 898-3281 x313

other model we considered:

http://www.wheeladapter.com/dodge_si...el_spacers.php
For 2 spacers $330 cash ($370.00 shipped)
Made out of High Quality Timken Bearing Steel
Hub and Wheel Centric (Machined with a Lip To Ensure Proper Centering of Your Rim)
Grade 10 Studs
LIFE TIME WARRENTY

More info:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/23125450.cfm
stevebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:31 PM   #26
Gold Member

Why not just get a different offset wheel instead of adding spacers. A bit more money but myself I'd feel more comfortable with that than spacers.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Why not just get a different offset wheel instead of adding spacers. A bit more money but myself I'd feel more comfortable with that than spacers.
You would have to do all 4 wheels to accommodate a tire rotation
Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:04 PM   #28
Gold Member

Or spend more to have tires changed on the rims to rotate.
I just don't trust spacers. I've seen some fail and it's not pretty.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #29
Silver Member

It is a dodge they have terrible steering feel (or lack of feel) I fabricated a steering damper for mine but didn't help. Ideal would be a return to centre damper/spring set up and as much positive caster as you can get as well as really good truck tires not P rated tires.
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 PM   #30

I did the research because I had the same fears and I've heard a multitude of arguments against spacers -- and seen a few horror story YouTube videos.

The reason for the failures are s primarily because people buy cheap Chinese, aluminum or pot knock-offs on eBay and Amazon.

I've had these spaces on for two years without lick of trouble and the driving is substiantally better.

I rest my case.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie409 View Post
It is a dodge they have terrible steering feel (or lack of feel) I fabricated a steering damper for mine but didn't help. Ideal would be a return to centre damper/spring set up and as much positive caster as you can get as well as really good truck tires not P rated tires.
Dodge steering is terrible. I'm on my second RT (first a 1993 POP 190 and now a 2000 Pop190).
On both I installed a safe-t-plus stabilizer. $380 and another $100 or so for installaiton.
Products | Safe T Plus

It felt like I was driving a passenger car. No drift at all. The difference was dramatic.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #32
Silver Member

Be sure to read the "FYI" at the bottom of the Pleasure-Way email response. The attached .jpg file has a typo in the Dodge specs. Caster & Camber are reversed. They recommend +3 - +4 Caster, not Camber as the .jpg shows.
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #33
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc197 View Post
Thank you I will email pleaserway I have heard that a minus 2 degrees caster works
but like you said I should talk to pleaserway
For everyone reading this thread, sure to read the "FYI" at the bottom of the Pleasure-Way email response to your request for dodge alignment specs. The attached .jpg file they sent me has a typo in the Dodge specs. Caster & Camber are reversed. They recommend +3 - +4 Caster, not Camber as the .jpg shows.

Recommended Camber is: Driver 0 - +1/4, Pass 0-1/8

Recommended Toe is: +1/16, cross total: 1/8 - 3/16
98LeisureTravelDodge is offline   Reply With Quote