Old 03-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #1

Default Rear wheel spacers

Have a 2000 Dodge Pleasure-Way TD looking for 2 in rear wheel spacers a place where I can order them to help with steering wondering

Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You may have wheel bearing problems if you do.

Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have a 97PW. I debated about all kinds of things with regard to the steering. When I first drove it after buying it from my father in law, it was from Wisconsin to Phoenix. Traveled through Illinois in high winds. White knuckles. But the winds were so strong that at a rest stop my wife couldn't open her door! When the winds died down, it was ok. The problem with the steering is that it appears to be "all time" and doesn't become more like manual at high speeds. Since then I've driven it all over the southwest and last summer up to Glacier and back. Haven't done anything with the stock configuration. I read up on this and someone speculated that the widebody version didn't really appear to have a problem. Not sure about that. I still get back from a trip and when I drive my Rav4, I notice the difference: the Rav4 for a while feels like it has manual! So the touch on my PW is very light but wandering isn't really an issue. Are you sure the alignment is correct? On mine an alignment shop might want to use the Dodge Van Wagon specs. You can't. If you email PW they will give you the precise specs for your PW.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I have a 97PW. I debated about all kinds of things with regard to the steering. When I first drove it after buying it from my father in law, it was from Wisconsin to Phoenix. Traveled through Illinois in high winds. White knuckles. But the winds were so strong that at a rest stop my wife couldn't open her door! When the winds died down, it was ok. The problem with the steering is that it appears to be "all time" and doesn't become more like manual at high speeds. Since then I've driven it all over the southwest and last summer up to Glacier and back. Haven't done anything with the stock configuration. I read up on this and someone speculated that the widebody version didn't really appear to have a problem. Not sure about that. I still get back from a trip and when I drive my Rav4, I notice the difference: the Rav4 for a while feels like it has manual! So the touch on my PW is very light but wandering isn't really an issue. Are you sure the alignment is correct? On mine an alignment shop might want to use the Dodge Van Wagon specs. You can't. If you email PW they will give you the precise specs for your PW.
Thank you I will email pleaserway I have heard that a minus 2 degrees caster works
but like you said I should talk to pleaserway
Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Here's something that I saw people on one of the forums recommending.

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Box Stabilizer

I've thought about that too but want to ask the mechanics at my local shop if
it looks ok to them first.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc197 View Post
Thank you I will email pleaserway I have heard that a minus 2 degrees caster works
but like you said I should talk to pleaserway

Are you sure you mean minus 2* caster? That normally will make a vehicle very hard to keep in a straight line, and was only used on heavy vehicles without power steering decades ago. Maybe 2* minus camber but even that is iffy.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Here's something that I saw people on one of the forums recommending.

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Box Stabilizer

I've thought about that too but want to ask the mechanics at my local shop if
it looks ok to them first.

The steering box stabilizer, for all I have seen about it, is a very good addition for the Dodges, as the mounting for them is pretty weak and the output of the box not really rigid.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
Silver Member

I put one of the steering box stabilizers on our 1999 Dodge Xplorer. I read lots of positive testimonials about them and decided that for $130 it was a cheap enough gamble for better handling. It was relatively easy to install and I think really does help drivability.
Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The steering box stabilizer, for all I have seen about it, is a very good addition for the Dodges, as the mounting for them is pretty weak and the output of the box not really rigid.
booster: I'm guessing that you're saying that the *original* mounting is weak, correct? And that the stabilizer improves that defect. Interested because I might try it.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
I put one of the steering box stabilizers on our 1999 Dodge Xplorer. I read lots of positive testimonials about them and decided that for $130 it was a cheap enough gamble for better handling. It was relatively easy to install and I think really does help drivability.
Dave
Did you do the install yourself?