Old 04-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #51
Platinum Member

I had two Bigfoot trailers, an '04 17' and an '06 25' with the four-seasons package as well, and it worked well in them. I don't know how you'd realistically seal the tanks with an insulated and ducted belly pan on a B-van though. You'd almost have to do the tanks on the floor of the van and then build a floor on top of that, reducing headroom and raising the COG... neither desirable. I think that the engine heat-exchanger systems, heat strips and whatever else they've come up with are probably the best you'll get in a van chassis.

hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:49 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
................I don't know how you'd realistically seal the tanks with an insulated and ducted belly pan on a B-van though. You'd almost have to do the tanks on the floor of the van and then build a floor on top of that, reducing headroom and raising the COG... neither desirable. I think that the engine heat-exchanger systems, heat strips and whatever else they've come up with are probably the best you'll get in a van chassis.
I have small enough fresh and grey tanks which fit within left and right under the floor cavities, so enclosing them would not be a problem. The black/flush tanks are inside in the Thetford 402C cassette unit. I agree that large tanks enclosure would be difficult.

George.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #53
Site Team

I made sort of an "enclosure" for my underbody tanks using sheets of 1/2" pink foam insulation. It provides some insulation and more importantly traps air heated by the glycol lines, some 12V tank heating pads, and the Espar itself (which is enclosed within the encased area. The material is not super robust, obviously, but I consider it expendable. I can replace it in an afternoon. It has actually held up pretty well over the two years that I have had it.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:35 AM   #54
Platinum Member

Bigfoot was using some kind ¼” fiber/foam board, not very rigid but sufficiently strong to span across trailer frame beams. I needed to repair a grey tank valve leak and found the structure to be just sufficient to support itself. No need to be overengineered, there was no structural liability.

George.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doesn't hurt to ask, please help, unicorn