Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Recalls

Report Receipt Date: DEC 01, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V764000
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC - DBA Sprinter

SUMMARY:
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC - DBA Sprinter (Mercedes) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Sprinter 2500, and Sprinter 3500 vehicles manufactured February 28, 2014, to November 21, 2014. In the affected vehicles, oil may leak from around the chain tensioner gasket area.

CONSEQUENCE:
Leaking oil may drip onto a hot engine surface, increasing the risk of a fire. Additionally, the leaking oil may be a road hazard for other vehicles, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Mercedes will notify owners, and dealers will replace the chain tensioner gasket, free of charge. The recall began on December 10, 2014. Owners may contact Mercedes customer service at 1-877-762-8267. Mercedes' number for this recall is 2014120003.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Recall

Report Receipt Date: FEB 10, 2015
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V082000
Component(s): STRUCTURE

Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC - DBA Sprinter

SUMMARY:
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC - DBA Sprinter (Sprinter) is recalling certain model year 2015 Sprinter 2500 and 3500 vehicles manufactured July 1, 2014, to October 14, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the abutting wedge, a component attached to the door jam to make opening the door easier after a severe frontal impact, may have been installed incorrectly.

CONSEQUENCE:
If a vehicle that has an incorrectly installed abutting wedge is involved in a severe frontal accident, a greater force may be necessary to open the doors, increasing the risk of injury.

REMEDY:
Sprinter will notify owners, and dealers will check the installation of the abutting wedge, correcting it as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in March 2015. Owners may contact Sprinter customer service at 1-877-762-8267.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Exclamation Dodge, Freightliner and Mercedes Sprinter Airbag Recall

Dodge, Freightliner and Mercedes Sprinter Airbag Recall:
The following models are being recalled because of problems with Takata airbags. Takata airbags can inflate with too much force and spew metal fragments into vehicle occupants. More than 24 million vehicles have been recalled in the U.S. because of the problem, which is blamed for 11 deaths worldwide. Here's the list of affected vehicles:

2007-2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500
2007-2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500
2007-2014 Freightliner Sprinter 2500
2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500
2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500

NHTSA Recalls Spotlight - Takata Air Bag Recalls
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Dodge, Freightliner and Mercedes Sprinter Airbag Recall:
The following models are being recalled because of problems with Takata airbags. Takata airbags can inflate with too much force and spew metal fragments into vehicle occupants. More than 24 million vehicles have been recalled in the U.S. because of the problem, which is blamed for 11 deaths worldwide. Here's the list of affected vehicles:

2007-2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500
2007-2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500
2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 2500
2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500

NHTSA Recalls Spotlight - Takata Air Bag Recalls
Hmm... Using their VIN lookup tool:
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/
my 2014 3500 I4 does not show any recalls, even though the 2014 is listed as an affected year. Wonder if it is just lag, or if not all 2014s are affected.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Take it to your dealer and have them look at your Sprinter. Better safe than sorry.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Take it to your dealer and have them look at your Sprinter. Better safe than sorry.
Dealers probably won't be much help until Mercedes issues recall notices to owners. Also there is a major parts shortage to replace Takata airbag so we can plan on having to wait to get this fixed. I for one have no intention to park my Sprinter until parts become available.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

1.) takata will probably go under before a comprehensive recall/ replacement program is effected.
consumer groups are demanding that NHTSA order a full takata recall rather than model by model.
If you have the option, get inline as soon as you can.

the alternative is no airbags, paying out of pocket or the "shrapnel surprise"

I have a toyota which has same model death-bags as recalled models...but no recall has yet been ordered for our car ( 1st and last toyota i'll ever buy- for many reasons)

2.) Takata knew about these problems years ago and concealed and obstructed- similar to VW ( diesel emissions), and kia, honda, ford and hyundai (mpg).

3.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
....I for one have no intention to park my Sprinter ....
I wonder if some takata lawyer will try to show a victim of the shrapnel surprise continued driving vehicle even after being warned...and shove the blame onto the victim

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Dealers probably won't be much help until Mercedes issues recall notices to owners. Also there is a major parts shortage to replace Takata airbag so we can plan on having to wait to get this fixed. I for one have no intention to park my Sprinter until parts become available.
I'd be surprised if it's done in the next year. No parking it for us either....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I noticed on the Sprinter Source forum that parts have started becoming available in southern states for the passenger side airbag recall. The recall parts for the Takata airbags are allocated first to high humidity states...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

2015 Sprinters are not included in the recall so I have not followed it closely. I would imagine there has to be a lot of production to accomplish in order to do the recall fixes and that isn't as if that is sitting on someone's shelf and ready to go. However, that humid comment comes from one person via one dealer. That is mostly hearsay and not fact, IMO. I think if I was affected I would want to see an official published comment from Mercedes Benz. I would imagine there would have to be an allocation order.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Davydd,

The fact is that NHTSA is controlling the allocation of recall airbag parts and is initially allocating the parts to high risk vehicles which are older vehicles and vehicles in high humidity areas. I don't tend to spread heresay and try to spread only facts. When I spread a rumor, I specify it as such...

Auto safety chief's car recalled for Takata air bags
Old 04-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Davydd,

The fact is that NHTSA is controlling the allocation of recall airbag parts and is initially allocating the parts to high risk vehicles which are older vehicles and vehicles in high humidity areas. I don't tend to spread heresay and try to spread only facts. When I spread a rumor, I specify it as such...

Auto safety chief's car recalled for Takata air bags
That's a better source than what you said before about a guy on another forum saying what a dealer told him.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That's a better source than what you said before about a guy on another forum saying what a dealer told him.
Davydd, Do you actually read my posts before you try to shoot them down??

Here is what I posted...

"I noticed on the Sprinter Source forum that parts have started becoming available in southern states for the passenger side airbag recall. The recall parts for the Takata airbags are allocated first to high humidity states..."

I don't see anything anything like your characterization of my words ???

And my comment was based on the info that a Sprinter owner had received the follow up notice that parts were available not on something he had been told by a dealer and the actual fact that NHTSA was controlling the allocation which appears to be something you were not aware of but something that I was aware of.

Here is the post on the other forum for your edification, notice he is in FL, a high humidity area.

Sprinter-Forum - View Single Post - Safety Recall "Passenger Airbag Inflator"

You have, at times, characterized other posts that don't seem to agree with your views as being inane, stupid, uninformed, etc.

How about considering the possibility that you have a tendency to shoot from the hip without any basis in many cases for your judgements of other people's veracity...
Old 04-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
Platinum Member

The "high humidity" and takata have been connected since the first reports of the "shrapnel surprise".

early occurrences were in Gulf States and HI years ago.

So commonly known, not opinion or a guess- a provable fact

takatas first defence was to blame climate and applied to only recall model by model in certain territorries.

owners up in arms as this can happen anywhere and cars first sold in a dry state can be driven to a wet state.

takata took over the world market in airbags by providing a less expensive propellant than TRW...however...

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Gold Member

I did a carfax report online and found that my newly acquired 2008 (2007 chassis) Pleasure Way Plateau had both driver and passenger airbag recalls still pending so I had these taken care of. I would suggest every new owner of used vehicles does the same, a small price to pay for information and peace of mind.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
Platinum Member

safercar.gov will give recall information on a per-VIN basis for zero dollars. Carfax charges $.

I'm in the deep south with three unrelated recalls on my Toyota daily driver (but none on my T1N Sprinter). Thus far, I've been told that that passenger side air bag is available for replacement, but not the driver side. I'm still waiting for the passenger unit to come in so that it can be replaced.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #17
Gold Member

Hi,
I am in CA and the dealer I purchased my Sprinter RV from took it around to the local dealer and they replaced both of the air bags on my 2007 chassis. I will need to re check
carfax to see if it was recorded.