Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2 weeks before leaving for 2 months

In two weeks, I'll be leaving for two months in the southern part of the USA (South Carolina, Georgia and Florida). I expect to finish a book project I've been working on for the two past years. If I stay here all I'll be doing is house maintenance. I'm retired and my wife is still working so I'll be traveling alone with our Lhassa Apso.

Our Roadtrek is winterized since the beginning of November. I'll be taking it out on February 1er and have a complete checkup. I'll be navigating with Street an Trips as well as a StreetPilot 330.

My only concern is the road conditions up here in Québec and driving on the 401 in Ontario til I reach Harrisburg, PA on I-81. I hope for two days of good weather.

I got a list of free WiFi Access all the way down so I'll try to keep you informed.

If you have any suggestion or advice, I'll appreciate it very much.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Sounds great to me. Too bad your wife can't go with you.

I wish I had some advice for you but I haven't done anything like that.

I'll be looking for your posts. I just took a quick look at Québec weather. Pretty cold for the whole Province right now.

I wish you safe travels on your trip and good luck with your book project.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks marcopolo for your support. The temperature is a little colder than normal but we have much less snow than usual (maybe 15 inches) for this perioid of the year.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Perhaps if it's in the budget you could purchase a wireless broadband card. This will allow you internet access just about anywhere. We really like ours for checking weather and road conditions in the direction that we're heading.

Another idea might be a CB radio. Even if your cell phone won't work in a specific area, you may be able to reach help with a CB (in the event that you have problems) You can also monitor the trucker channels to determine the road conditions up ahead.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Hi julievojo,
A broadband card would be a good thing to have. But as you pointed out, it's a question of budget. Before I leave, I'll be buying a Wifi range expander to more easily access the Internet from the various free Internet hotspots. BTW, you can get these hotspots as well as a Hotspot Shield software from AnchorFree and load them on your iPod which I did.

The riskier section of my route is in a 50 mile zone in the North of the state of New York. Road conditions can change drastically in a question of minutes. Then again there here are exits at almost every 3 miles. As an alternative, I can contact my older daughter who is working at a major Canadian trucking company by cell or Internet and ask for road conditions or even help from one of their drivers (I-81 is one of their main routes).
Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We also have an XM radio hookup. We can tune into the trucker channel or the weather channel and get up to the minute road reports. The XM is relatively inexpensive ($9.95 a month) and is great for long trip. You can keep one channel from coast to coast if you want to.

Have a great trip!
Old 02-09-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Jardinier - I don't know if you've already left. The weather on the news tonight did not look that good where you are.

Pretty darn cold on I-81.
I thought I was looking at degrees C but it degrees F!

Take care and have a safe trip.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Hi marcopolo,
I actually left Québec on Thursday and went to my wife's apartment in Montréal where I then left at 4 in the morning. Crossed the border at 8H00. I-81 was bad, real bad some 20 Km past Watertown til 30 Km past Syracuse : Snow, wind. Real hell. The big guys in their trucks send you all the slush they they can in the front window. So you keep cleaning it to be able to see in front of you. Had to slow down to 35 MPH on a 65 MPH highway. I slept in Carlisle, PA at the Walmart. Slept 12 hours!

The next morning I left around 11 AM. The wind got stronger on I-81 but then no snow nor rain. I stopped at Emporia, VA and slept at the Walmart. BTW, I found out thaht the Garmin 330 has all the Walmarts in it's database. Slept like a baby even if it was freezing cold. I did the last 500 KM yesterday and arrived at the Huntingdon State park around 2H00 PM. The temperature was a little under 60F. Today, it's somewhere close to 70F. I washed the Roadtrek (it had never been so dirty). Below zero temperature is expected in two to three days. Don't mind, got two heaters and lots of vodka for my Bloody Caesars!

I'm contacting you from Starbucks here in Myrtle Beach. The free wifi hotspot signal is quite good. Got to go Low Battery! I'll get back to you in a couple of days.

Take care.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Hi guys,

Just to give you the latest. While up North people were having snow up to their neck, we spent the evening under a tornado alert here in Myrtle Beach! Those who are still wondering about serious climate change going on should open their TV!

Temperatures will be under zero during the next 2 nights but goes up around 50F during the day.

See you soon!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardinier
.......... Had to slow down to 35 MPH on a 65 MPH highway. I slept in Carlisle, PA at the Walmart. Slept 12 hours!
That was a rough start to your trip!

We just got back from two weeks in the US. I slept 12 hours some nights too after driving all day!

Quote:
........... I washed the Roadtrek (it had never been so dirty). ...............
We went through rain, hail, desert, snow..........

I have bad luck with the wand washes at gas stations. Usually they are full of mud & crap. The first one I used on this trip left my RT very spotted. At the second one, the brush hose had a hole.

Where did you wash yours?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Hi marcopolo,

Spring seems to have finaly arrived. I de-winterised my water system yesterday and sanitized the whole thing. I can now use fresh water directly fom inside the RT. Alligators havn't came out yet. On the other hand 4 swans are actualy on one of the ponds while beautiful Ibises move around us looking for worms or insects in the grass.

I'm working some 7-8 hours per day on my book project. It progresses at an acceptable pace as far as I'm concerned.

Take care

I'll get back to you on wednesday
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
..........I'm working some 7-8 hours per day on my book project...............
That's excellent.

Remember, I think you are entitled to two coffee breaks and one hour for lunch
Old 03-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Hi marcopolo,

The book is progressing well since I'm taking those two coffee breaks you suggested. Up till then, I was only dinking vodka (Bloody Ceasars)! No wonder I felt drowsy!

Temperatures are warming up and staying close to 70F. Aligators are coming out to catch some sun. They say the soft water marsh contains 60 to 70 aligators, the biggest going over 14 feet! The oversaturation on the marsh forces the younger ones to move out to the pond at the other end of the campground. They simply walk their way between the RVs. I didn't see them doing that yet but can't wait to take pictures. I should have brought my mother-in-law had I known!

Take care.

Jardinier