Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default A Heartland Tour through WI, IL, IN, IA, MO and MN

We made our fourth trip from Minnesota to or through Indiana in our Class B campervan this year in my continuing pursuit of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich as part of our travels. Previous trips were for the ICS Indianapolis 500 race and the NASCAR Brickyard 400 race.

Our first stop on they way was in Baraboo, Wisconsin. We did not have a pork tenderloin but did sample the hamburger's at Monk's Bar in Baraboo. Sorry no photo of the burgers but on our way out we visited the International Crane Foundation where they have over 15 different cranes from all over the world and have taken on the task of saving the endangered Whooping Crane. Just a few short years ago there were only 21 in the wild. So let's start out with the rare Whooping Cranes for sheer enjoyment.

Moving on. I don't know how many emails I have gotten to try The Igloo Drive-In in Peru, Illinois. So I did. I must sadly report they are but average and nothing to rave home about. It only took me about 10 miles off my route and it was lunch time anyway. This is yet another breaded pork tenderloin sandwich that has a reputation that exceeds delivery. I don't know if it is because the sandwich itself has changed or memory embellishes. There was nothing special about it in appearance, size, taste, preparation or tenderness. Culver's does it better. I don't believe in words. I take a picture for comparison.

We reached Indianpolis and for lunch Friday we went to the Ale Emporium on Allisonville Rd just north of the 1-465 interchange. They offered a grilled, breaded or beer battered pork tenderloin sandwich. For a change I had the beer battered along with a Bell's Oktoberfest beer on tap. This place is recommended if you are looking for a special ale or beer. The tenderloin was about average. It wasn't bad.

Then on Saturday for lunch we went out to the Mayberry Cafe in Danville. Their tenderloin is a very worthy one and recommended. Note Andy Griffith's Mayberry police car parked out front.

Then Saturday night I attended my Speedway High School 45th Reunion in Parlour A & B at Brickyard Crossing in Speedway. This was kind of special to me because it was also the 45th anniversary of working on my very first project in an architect's office and this building was it. It was known as the Speedway Inn and Motor Hotel at the time and was also a feature setting for the Paul Newman movie, Winning. It may be torn down soon for a major revamping of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and surrounding streets.

Dinner was a buffet of fried chicken, roast beef or turkey. I bribed the head waiter to prepare me a breaded pork tenderloin instead. I think they went out of the way with a special preparation. It was huge.

Sunday night we camped in Brown County State Park and had dinner at the Brown County Inn Corn Crib Lounge in Nashville with friends. I again ordered the tenderloin.

The tastiest and best of this trip was the Mayberry Cafe despite the kitsch based on the old Andy Griffith TV show. After all that I was tenderloined out despite driving back through the tenderloin heartland of Illinois, Missouri and Iowa and passing up other known opportunities. So I leave you with this.

We had an interesting sunrise/sunset day Monday. We departed Brown County State Park in southern Indiana very early to capture this shot just minutes before the sun came up. Brown County could best be described as a miniaturized Smoky Mountains. I love the place.

And we arrived at Lake Darling State Park near Fairfield, Iowa to catch this sunset from our camp site.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

My wife wants to know what your cholesterol no. is???

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Davydd is an expert on pork tenderloin sandwiches. His site is #1!

www.porktenderloinsandwich.com

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
My wife wants to know what your cholesterol no. is???
The last time I had it checked it was 154 believe it or not. You have to moderate in between.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Silver Member

Has nobody heard about cooking over an open fire, restaurants . I wish, but Visa keeps cutting me off.

Nice camping pictures. What lens/zoom did you get the Whooping Cranes with. I can't get within 300' of a Blue Heron and it's a tiny dot.
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm
Has nobody heard about cooking over an open fire.......................
I remember Davydd posting a photo of breakfast being cooked over an open fire.

I had to search but I found it:

.......Still, we did all our cooking outside. This is Italian sausage, potatoes and eggs frying over the campfire. 29 degrees F. outside at the time.........

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Silver Member

That's got to be a fake picture. Noboby camps at 29 degrees F. I would be in the frying pan. LOL

When I was young, we cooked scrambled eggs over the fire. They were done when the plastic fork melted...

Okay not camping, but if your serving Steak....

Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's got to be a fake picture. Noboby camps at 29 degrees F. I would be in the frying pan. LOL
True! Here's the cook.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Has nobody heard about cooking over an open fire, restaurants . I wish, but Visa keeps cutting me off.

Nice camping pictures. What lens/zoom did you get the Whooping Cranes with. I can't get within 300' of a Blue Heron and it's a tiny dot.
If you go to my web site you will see one of my hobbies is pursuing the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich and the B van makes it possible because you can park at restaurants.

I use a small Canon Digital Elph SD850 IS camera that I can keep in my pocket. It has a 4X optical zoom which was used to take the two whooping cranes picture. The whooping cranes are in a captive setting across a small pond so were not that far away. It also zooms to 16X digital with which I captured this photo. The image stability feature helps a great deal as most all my shots are hand held.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Silver Member

Here's my Canon A520 4x Zoom

Still not close...