Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 03:09 AM   #1

Default Alaska 2018

We are planning a trip up North to Alaska via the marine highway and return via the Yukon and B.C . Has any body made this trip ?
portfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:38 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have, but on my GoldWing motorcycle, not my class B
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny R View Post
I have, but on my GoldWing motorcycle, not my class B

That's fantastic. Not easy, but the experience must be amazing.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Alaska 2018

Taking the ferry one way is a very good idea. It saves a lot of driving. Made trip to Alaska in 2014. Drove up the Alcan Highway, started from Maryland though Minnesota. On return took BC ferry from Prince Rupert, on mainland west coast, to Port Hardy on northern end of Vancouver Island. Spent several days on the island and then took the Black Ball ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, WA.

It was a great trip, for next trip to Alaska plan to take the Alaska Marine ferry both ways. Have fun!

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Platinum Member

What are the rules for taking a pet from the US into Canada and back?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post

Check the web sites for Canada and USA boarder authorities. Basically as I recall it mostly involves paperwork on vaccinations.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Into Canada requires a health certification less than 30 days old, although we were never asked for it in '16. And current vaccines. Info is also available with a google search. Just check out Canadian customs for current rules and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

HTH.

I took a quick motorcycle trip up as far as Skagway back in '04. Went up the Cassiar back the Alcan. Marvelous. I have to get back and see the stuff I missed cuz I had to get back to worksux. Thankfully, that whole working thing is no longer an issue. Not sure iff'n it will be a Roadtrek or motorcycle adventure at this point. Maybe 2019.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Up the Cassiar/Stewart. Back down the The Alaska/BC Hiway in '12.
6 wks, nearly 9k miles from AZ & back - all driving, no problem.
Don't miss 'Top of the World ' (Chicken & Dawson)!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

While I haven't driven up the Cassiar Highway in many years it has only gotten better over the yeas. I live in Juneau and can give you some advice on the Marine Highway through the inside passage of Southeast Alaska. If you have the time, I would try and plan your trip so you can get off the ferry and spend a few days in at least Ketchikan and Juneau before getting back on. I would suggest taking the ferry from Prince Rupert to Ketchikan, getting off for a few days before getting on another ferry going to Juneau. If you want a really nice road trip, take the Inter island Ferry from Ketchikan to Hollis on Prince of Wales Island and cruise around the island for a weeks or so.
From Juneau there are several trips on smaller ferries to Hoonah, Gustavus, and Sitka. If you wanted to leave your van in Juneau for a few days you could go to Tenekee Springs or Pelican (there are no roads in these to small communities but wonderful to visit).
From Juneau the 1/2 day ferry will take you to Skagway where you can drive to Whitehorse and pick up the AlCan highway to Alaska or continue north in the the Northwest Territory and to Dawson City and then over to Alaska going to to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage and down to Seward or Homer.
This would be an epic trip and take a couple of months but worth it, or cut out some of the loops like Prince of Wales Island and Dawson City, or add a ferry leg to Kodiak from either Seward or Homer. One hard part of planning this trip would be to get all of the ferry reservations lined up in advance but certainly doable. I have done all of these trips but spread out over 30 years but with the recent purchase of an older Pleasure Way van we are beginning to plan our 2019 trip from Juneau through Whitehorse, Fairbanks, and Denali.
Good luck!
Roger
akroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

Default Alaska 2019

Rodger,
Thank you for all the inside information.( No pun intended) We Have decided to do this trip in 2019 instead of 2018 as we can then spend more time in the north (3+ months). We plan on leaving mid May out of Prince Rupert to Ketchikan then Petersburg for Norwegian Fest and Sitka ,Juneau then out at Haines catching Skagway on the way south
Questions:
Are the ferries pretty reliable?
How easy is it to change schedules?
What year ,model of Pleasure Way? ( ours is a 2006 Excell TS)

This should be an awesome trip.
Craig
portfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Hi, I am so looking forward to our future trip to Alaska, I really enjoyed all your different ideas, I have one question, if you don't book the ferries ahead of time, is there still a chance to get on them or do they book up way in advance, the reason I ask this is because I find when were traveling, we are always stopping to see something along the way, and keeping to a tight schedule is not something were used to doing while sightseeing, let me know when you get a chance,,, thanks,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We took a cruise ship from Seward to Vancouver with stops at Glacier Bay NP, Juneau, Sitka, and Ketchikan in 2001 long before RVing.

In 2012 we drove first to Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper before connecting at the beginning of the Alaska Highway. We diverted to Skagway and took the ferry to Haines before rejoining the Alaska Highway. Then we pretty much covered Alaska where paved roads would take us including the tunnel to Whittier. On the return trip we went to Chicken, AK to Dawson City, YK via the On Top of the World highway and then down the Yukon Highway to Whitehorse to rejoin for a short distance the Alaska Highway but the down the Cassair Highway which was more remote than the Alaska Highway. We then went over to Stewart, BC and crossed back over to Hyder, AK to see the bears. Then we went to Prince Rupert, BC the last of the coastal towns. We then went back over to Jasper/Banff area and then down through Idaho and spent a week in Glacier NP before heading home back to Minnesota. The trip took about 11 weeks.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:10 AM   #13

Hi Craig,
I really wish I could say the Alaska State ferries are reliable and they are for the most part. Budget cuts and an aging fleet sometimes create delays but overall there are few cancellations. Unless you are traveling in the off-season I would try and lock in the reservations since you will be traveling with your van. More flexibility for walk-on travelers but I don't think I would count on much flexibility with a vehicle.

I recently purchased a 1996 Pleasure Way STW and while I haven't taken possession yet i hope to in the next few weeks. Looking forward to starting to do roadtrips!

Sounds like you will be in Petersburg around May 17, 2019 and I know you will enjoy the Little Norway Festival.
Safe travels,
Roger
Old 01-03-2018, 04:23 AM   #14

It used to be there was more flexibility for making quick adjustments to ferry reservations but not so much anymore. They ferries do fill up and at best a port might get ferry service every 3 -4 days or so. But they do have standby or waiting lists so if you are flexible that might work for you. Worst case, you get stuck in a nice city for an extra week or so!
Good luck,
Roger
Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
Platinum Member

One thing that hasn't been covered in this thread. Do you have access to your van while underway on the Alaska ferry? On the Skagway to Haines ferry we didn't. We also had no access when we took a ferry to Newfoundland and back and on the ferry from Victoria, BC to Washington. They were all below deck parking. Only on surface deck parking short trip ferries could we stay in our van.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #16

No, you can not access vehicles while under way. You can access them while in port and usually have to stand by during loading/off loading in case you need to move vehicle.
I am pretty sure that during longer segments people are periodically allowed on car deck to check on pets but I don't know the details.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #17
Platinum Member

How long are some of these ferry rides? (In time, not distance)...
Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #18

The longest ferry ride is about 1.5 days from Bellingham WA to Ketchikan. All other segments vary from about 4 to 8 hours. I just checked out AK Ferry page and they have a very nice outline for a 10 day cruise through Southeast AK from Prince Rupert to Skagway or Haines. Probably a good place to start trip planning and look at staying longer in some cities or going to others. Hope this helps:
Alaska Ferry 10 Day Drive Through the Inside Passage

Good luck, Roger
Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #19

Default Alaska 2019

We will also be traveling in a new Class B PW Plateau TS (Sprinter 2017). My wife and I have dedicated 2 1/2 months to travel from VA to AK and back. While the driving of a Class B is great, the living is challenging. Particularly on such a loooong trip. Any experienced Class B owners wish to share their insight into what to pack for such and adventure, where to store it since we have no basement storage, and handy accessories that make the trip better? This is our 5th motorhome and smallest.
dorauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:12 AM   #20
Bronze Member

I would love to travel to Alaska, but having to convert the dinette to bed and back every day for 2,5 months sounds pretty daunting to me. But that's just me...