Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Anybody been to Fern Canyon in California?

I'm still in the research phase of an RV purchase. One of my favorite places to go in my minivan has been Fern Canyon in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.

To get to Fern Canyon, there's an 8 mile dirt road that's full of curves and you have to cross a couple of shallow creeks. The stated limit is 24 feet, but I'd like to know if anybody has actually driven that road in a Sprinter-based RV.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
Silver Member

Been to Prairie Creek a few times, but never braved it to drive to Gold Bluffs beach campground let alone Fern Canyon. Personally, I would not drive that far on a narrow dirt/gravel road in an RV, too many things slung under the RV that could get damaged…but, I’ve seen some class B’s (not sprinter based) driving that road. The road is winding and narrow, you have to make way to incoming cars on occasions and if you’re not careful enough, your wheels might get stuck in a ditch/ damage RV appliance under the RV or possibly hit a low hanging tree branches.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought about the stuff slung under an RV or the height issues. I was concerned about all the curves.

I think the park rangers want that road in poor shape to limit the number of people at Fern Canyon. The road and Fern Canyon are unique circumstances and I reluctantly agree with their stance. Over the years, I've seen Yosemite become overrun with people and I'd hate to see Fern Canyon destroyed by busloads of tourists.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote