Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Arkansas & Oklahoma

Just finished visiting Eureka Springs, AR and loved it. It's way up in the NW corner of the state. Used to be known for it's water, which people claimed were healing. Now it's a small town, circular in shape, with Main Street bisecting the circle. They have lots of festivals there - we just missed the jazz festival, but the bar-b-que and bikes was coming. They also have art festivals, so check to see when your favorite is coming. The Wanderlust RV park is very nice.
Food is chancy. The Oasis, a hole in the wall, has excellent Mexican food. Town is often called Little Switzerland because there are so many stairs and winding roads going up and down.
Lots of nice shops with touristy things, but also good quality shops. Around the town are many little grotto-like places, nicely landscaped, where you can get the famous water. Plenty of beautiful trails, Beaver Dam for swimming and fishing and caverns to explore

Moved on to Sulphur, Ok. Actually, I stopped at Sallisaw first to see Sequoya's cabin. He was a Cherokee who invented a written language for his tribe.
I came to see the Chickasaw Cultural Center and was blown away. I've been to several different cultural centers for Native Americans, and this one is excellent. Set on several acres, it has water features, lovely landscaping, a research building, museum, art gallery, indoor theater, outdoor theater where they demonstrate dancing. Very interesting and educational. Plan on spending at least 2 hrs. there, but 3 would be better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Center.jpg (231.9 KB, 505 views)
File Type: png Into and welcoming.png (997.0 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Eureka Spring Main St..jpg (30.7 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg Eureka Spring.jpg (41.5 KB, 505 views)
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Arkansas & Oklahoma

Nice report.It is nice to see places that are little known for my retirement years.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Arkansas & Oklahoma

Another place I forgot to mention that is wonderful is Blanchard Springs Caverns. Most caverns have stalactites and stalagmites, but Blanchard has other forms that make it a very interesting and pretty place to visit. We went on the Dripstone tour. You take an elevator down to the cavern level and walk through 2 sets of double doors into a cavern the size of 4 football fields. The guide was very knowledgeable and the lighting is excellent. The tour takes about an hour. Since it's National, the Interagency Senior pass helps save a bit also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BS2.jpg (277.6 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg BS4.jpg (306.8 KB, 368 views)
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote