Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #1

Default B campgrounds

At the risk of sounding snobby,,, does anyone know of a campground publication/website that list campgrounds that might be more appealing or more accessible to class Bs? I realize the state and older parks are probably more suited for Bs. But how to find them easily. I read RV Park Review almost nightly and it got me thinking.
I have nothing against As, had one, and nothing against Cs, had one of those too. I think alot of RV parks might be looking to cater to the bigger rigs and I wondered if perhaps there are some that cater to the smaller rigs. Layout, turn radius, better spacing given size, etc, etc. You get my point.
I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks

Tim n Tina
TNT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Most of the National Forest campgrounds in the upper Midwest (MN, MI, WI) have severe limitations to where a Class B is about the only practical option besides the tent campers.

As for private campgrounds catering exclusively to Class Bs? Fat chance. I don't know of any. It wouldn't make for a lot of practical business sense.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:26 AM   #3

Yeah, I realize not much money to be made with an all exclusive B park. I came across a place the other night that offered lower rates to RVs under 24ft. Got me wondering if there was a list. Oh well. Ill have to compile my own while traveling. Would like to see more "Small Rig Friendly" out there.

Thanks for the info on national parks. Will be heading out that way this coming summer. When we had our A, and camped on the east coast, we only had 2 options. Pull thru, or in the seasonal section. One of the many reasons we downsized!!
Old 01-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've been to many parks that obviously were built in a time of smaller RV's. Somehow folks can shoehorn huge 5th wheels and 40'+ busses in them.

At Boyd's I saw many parking jobs I couldn't possibly do. Also saw people hit other vehicles and trees. It was very entertaining some evenings.

I've had the big RV and dealt with the stress of negotiating nearly impossible parking spots and tight, curvy park roads with big trees. No thanks, never again. The B is much less stress.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There are generally two limits to RV parking that are advantages to Class Bs. One is just getting to the campground. Chisos Basin CG in Big Bend NP is an example of that. The approach road is steep and large RVs cannot negotiate the hairpin turns. I've seen large trailers there usually occupied by a camp host but I suspect they are brought in with assistance and closing down the road temporarily. That isn't going to happen with everyday RVers.

The second is the parking spaces can be only deep enough to accommodate one vehicle usually under 25 feet with no other auxiliary parking. That kills most trailers and Class Cs. The 13 site Natural Bridges NM CG in Utah is an example of that. I saw one Navion there and its front end was protruding into the road. Truck campers and tent campers are usually the only competition with Class B RVers in a lot of National Forest campgrounds.

This campground in the Organ Mountains Aguirre Spring BLM just east of Las Cruces, New Mexico is now one of my favorites. It not only has a one way steep winding road with hairpin turns in and out, the campsites for the most part cannot accommodate anything more than 30 feet in but just a few sites. In most cases large RVs would be intimidated just trying to get to it.

Class Bs have way more choices in that they fit in just about any campsite no matter where they go. I have arrived at campgrounds where large RVs got turned away but small sites were still available.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It seems to me that most of the "campgrounds" listed today aren't campgrounds, but RV Parks. There's a world of difference. Sure, I like my conveniences, elect and such, but I also like to "camp". You know be among trees with a hint of privacy, not in the middle of a field. As B'ers and campers we spend the majority of our time outside, cooking, relaxing and so on. We don't come outside only to adjust the TV dish, we are outside except to sleep. This is what makes it so hard to read reviews and discern whether a park is a campground or a RV Park.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
This is what makes it so hard to read reviews and discern whether a park is a campground or a RV Park.
Use an app like rvparky- descriptions are generally good, also yelp and other review sites will have pics.

or use google maps satellite view and have a look- trees vs pavement

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

The best app for wilderness campgrounds is the Ultimate CG app. I have it on the iPhone. It is better than Allstays and RVParky for finding public sites like National Forests, BLM, county, local, state, etc.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The best app for wilderness campgrounds is the Ultimate CG app. I have it on the iPhone. It is better than Allstays and RVParky for finding public sites like National Forests, BLM, county, local, state, etc.
I just bought it. Looks pretty good--thanks.

As a connoisseur of obscure dispersed campgrounds on public lands, I did a quick look at Allegheny National Forest, which I know pretty well. It was interesting. My favorite "secret" dispersed sites weren't there, but some others that I didn't know about were.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #10

Great info. I will check out that app. I am familiar with RVparky. Getting excited for the upcoming season!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #11

It must only be for Apple. I have a droid. I cant find it on Google play or Amazon apps.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:14 AM   #12

Found it. You have to search for the right thing,,duh! Little tired tonight.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT88 View Post
It must only be for Apple. I have a droid. I cant find it on Google play or Amazon apps.
Their website says that they have an Android app:
The Ultimate Public Campgrounds Project - Home
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote