Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
This is a great topic and one that got me interested in trying to use a rv in the first place. When you do the google search for the 70F trip tools a lot reference the results of this (a met student at the time):

Brian B's Climate Blog: 70F Road Trip

It would be interesting for him to re-run his models with the current climate change to see where the route would have us follow today.
What you are initiating here is climate change which can be very political. I will say though to keep in mind Climate is not relevant as it is long term. This is about weather which is short term. Imagine the route was based on rainfall.

Bud

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
Silver Member

Climate and weather try to describe the same thing. But yes they are on different time scales with climate being the average over at least a 30 year period (https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/arctic-...s_weather.html). I believe that the data he used was from the daily normal high which is the smoothed average of a 30 year window for a site. So, his model was based on the climate normals for the US and Canada at the time he ran the model. I was just wondering what changes to the route would be like since he last ran his model.

On the general topic, I will follow the science to help determine the best route based on temperature prediction and the politics for the local driving laws.

MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #13

If you are considering a coast to coast trip why not try Route 2, The Great Northern. This is outlined in the book, Road Trip USA. It will take you from Acadia National Park in Maine to Seattle, Washington. It crosses over the Canadian border for a long section. Looks interesting.

kjkccc is online now   Reply With Quote