Old 08-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Best time - Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Acadia?

When is the best time to go, i.e. least crowded? Maybe even no reservations?

Planning on late summer 2016 trip to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Acadia. Looking at mid August to mid September. Planning on driving up to Portland and taking overnight ferry to Yarmouth. Work our way thru NS, up to tip of Cape Breton (Meat Cove CG) and back down through NB along coast (Fundy NP). Focusing on Provincial Parks CGs, maybe a couple of private CGs (Meat Cove, The Ovens?)

Everyone says wait until September for Acadia. Do we even need reservations then. We would love to travel without reservations. Going onto the Canadian National and Provincial Park reservation systems, there are plenty of available sites mid to end of August and then into September. Is this true?

Any advice appreciated.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

September in the Maritimes was very quiet when we were there 3 years back. We never used reservations then. Be aware that some stuff starts to close down very soon after Labor Day. The good stuff, though, is still open. It's the best time, IMHO.

Acadia, though, is different. CG's there were full. To get best choice, I would reserve. CG's there were also very expensive.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Be aware that some stuff starts to close down very soon after Labor Day. The good stuff, though, is still open.

Acadia, though, is different. CG's there were full. To get best choice, I would reserve. CG's there were also very expensive.
obgraham,

Thank you for the info.

Quick clarification - What type of stuff closes down? What remains open?

Arcadia CG - what about NPS CGs? Reservations necessary after Labor Day?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

BobB:
It was more in the small towns, Quebec especially, that little attractions were shutting down. Gaspe, for instance, was deserted, though I don't think you're headed there. Lobster joints had shorter hours. Snack joints were closing. We were using private RV parks on that trip, most were less than half full. Acadia was going full tilt. We couldn't get a res in the NPS places, wound up at KOA.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

obgraham,

Yes, limiting our range to just NS, and coastal NB. Did travel to the north side of the St. Lawrence (Quebec) - Charlevoix - a few years ago.

Thanks again for your info.

Since we are going in 2016, I am going to check how reservations are at Acadia NPS in early September. Will give me some indication of whether or not I need them.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

You can follow Gordon Hanebutt on Facebook. He and his wife, Joni, just went to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador. They both kept a photo blog. They did a lot of boondocking in a Great West Van Legend and they are now back in the states.

We plan to head that way September 12th. It will be a little late in the season but we are capable of fully boondocking in any weather if necessary. Personally, I like off-season solitude.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Davyyd,

Thank you for the FB reference! Will be interested in your experiences up that way. Please post.

We will see how much boondocking we can do with the '99 EVC. Have port-potti, but electrical could use upgrade. Just installed Fantastic Fan so ventilation just improved. VW EVC is still nice and cozy for the 2 of us.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You might want to consider purchasing a Parks Canada Discovery pass if you plan to visit a lot of places on the list:

link: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f1...pass-2598.html

I'd recommend visiting the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site.
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #9
Site Team

We've had good luck getting last-minute cancellation slots at the Acadia NP campground. Monitor the reservation website and stuff will pop up. We were also able to extend our stay due to a no-show (had to move sites, of course). They process the no-shows and cancellations around 9:00AM. I am not sure if you can call the campground directly, but if you can, that is the time to call.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
We've had good luck getting last-minute cancellation slots at the Acadia NP campground.
avanti,

Thanks. Exactly what time year was this?