Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Boondocking in New Bunswick, Nova Scotia & PEI

Hi,

Were heading to the Maritimes June 29 from Winnipeg and need some boondocking places in the Maritimes other than Walmarts. If you have any suggestions or any must see places it would be appreciated. We will be in the area for a bout 3 weeks. Probably going through Duluth, Minnesota/Sault St Marie/Ottawa.
Thanks in advance

Rommel
96 RT 190 Versatile
Winnipeg, MB
Canada
96RT190V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Boondocking in New Bunswick, Nova Scotia & PEI

In northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan the many state and national forest campgrounds are your best bet. I'm not sure whether your definition of boondocking is free camping or just non-hookup camping. Nevertheless, the forest campgrounds are usually the least expensive actual campgrounds with vault toilets and available water somewhere in the campground. They are generally the most aesthetically pleasing wilderness sites too. Fees range from about $14 to $0. Around Duluth all campsites municipal or state parks are $30+. I use the Ultimate Campground Project app on my iPhone/iPad. It only tracks public campgrounds.

Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Pilot/Flying J, etc. places to me are for only when you drive until sunset, stop and sleep, and then move on. In Minnesota I don't think stopping overnight at public rest stops is allowed. There are groups that connect private citizen stops like in driveways but I have never explored or entertained those.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I will look into the app you mentioned

Rommel
96 RT 190 Versatile
Winnipeg, MB
Canada
96RT190V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

FWIW, when we visited the Atlantic provinces in the summers of '09-'11 we checked ahead with the respective tourist boards and boondocking was largely frowned upon officially. We went any way and found that reality didn't follow the official position as stated. I can't recommend any specific places beyond the usual suspects that have already been mentioned but Walmart may be your only option in most places. There aren't many truck stops there in a traditional sense but there are a few ma and pa type places. You used to be able to stop at roadside pull outs on the scenic byways in Gaspe specifically on Rte 132, but they are now all posted no overnight parking based on last summer's trip.
My best recommendation would be keep your eyes open and watch for other boondockers on your route. We have also found that the Quebecois are the kings and queens of boondockers. Look for the "je me souviens" license plates and follow their lead. They are the pros.
If you like a challenging drive through some hilly winding roads with some fantastic scenery along the way, take a crack at the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton. It's worth the hassle. Peggy's Cove is a must do at least once.
You might want to check out
Freecampsites.net
It's got a map of North America that has free and cheap places to stay as inputted by it's members. I've browsed it for ideas before heading out. Not sure if there's an app but there may be. It's free to register. No fees to join or browse the site but not all of the camping sites are free. Some of the listed camping sites may have a nominal fee to use them.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

FYI - the group Davydd mentioned that connects private citizens who welcome RVers to park overnight for free on their property is http://www.boondockerswelcome.com. About 20 Maritime locations and many more on your way there. Disclosure: I own the web site. Small annual fee required to join.
shunpiker is offline   Reply With Quote