Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Silver Member

Question boondocking spots in Utah? specific areas. in 24’ class B rental

boondocking spots in Utah? specific areas. in 24’ class B rental

Hi all. New member here. Glad to be here!

We currently own (and love) our travel trailer, but are considering changing to a 2019 24’ Sprinter gas 170 EB 4x4 with custom built interior by an ‘upfitter’

We are soon planning on renting a similar 24’ class B and doing a 6 day road trip from Los Angeles this early summer, to try 24’ van glamping out.

I have a very good idea of what Id like to do with the family, (i have been before) so the question isn’t what to see (I have a good amount planned for the 6 days - hitting my favorite spots)

but rather - what boondocking spots very near our desired overnight spots exist?

I’d welcome quiet, scenic spots that are pretty much guaranteed a spot for us. Free is a bonus. Dont mind paying if need be.

Want to not be cheek to jowl next to other sun blockers.

Dont want WallyWorld free. Want dirt road, away from folks camping.

Day 1 - leave Los Angeles, drive about 7 hours to Zion National Park area. Boondock in Zion National Park area.

Day 2 - AM: quick look at Zion National Park, then drive towards Moab area.
Boondock maybe 1/2 way to Moab.
Fishlake National Forest?
What is more scenic up to there - the 15 north, (about 20 minutes faster than the 89) or the 89 north?

Day 3 - explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and area. Boondock nearby.

Day 4 - explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and area. Boondock nearby.

Day 5 - leave Arches + Canyonlands, drive to Monument Valley area.
Boondock near Monument Valley.

Day 6 - early AM explore Monument Valley, and drive about 3/4 (about 7 hours) towards LA.
Boondock about 3 hours out of LA.
Maybe Mojave National Preserve near Baker? can one boondock near there? Is it pretty?

Day 7 arrive home to LA about lunch time.

thanks for any and all boondock location tips!!

John
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Free areas are obvious in all those areas except Monument Valley. For Monument Valley get a reservation and "pay the man." Goulding's would be my choice.

This is Navajo land, not BLM land, and white, black, yellow or brown folks don't get to squat on the red man's land.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There are a lot of BLM campground sites in southern Utah around Moab on the Colorado River. There are too many to mention but the Ultimate Campground app on my iPhone list most of them.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
There are a lot of BLM campground sites in southern Utah around Moab on the Colorado River. There are too many to mention but the Ultimate Campground app on my iPhone list most of them.
aha - I'll have to dig out that app.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

LA, there is no "boondock" or dispersed camping in Zion NP.
https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...ds-in-zion.htm
The Dixie National Forest is in that part of southern Utah https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/dixie/home
Near Moab, in addition to Canyonlands and Arches National Park is Dead Horse Point State Park. Dispersed camping on BLM lands is limited in the Moab area
https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...ctivities/utah
If you travel south from Monument Valley on Hwy 160, consider an overnight at Navajo National Monument, a lovely small NPS unit with a small, free campground. We like staying there better than at Monument Valley, about an hour away. https://www.nps.gov/nava/index.htm From a retired USFS officer
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Silver Member

For those that know the Arches / Canyonland area - how would this free BLM dispersed camping be, as a base? to spend 2 nights. While exploring by van days.

Klondike Bluffs Road -free BLM dispersed camping

supposedly not too busy.

nice.

23 min drive to Moab.

https://www.campendium.com/klondike-bluff-road

GPS:*38.7536, -109.7296

supposedly: "....The road its self is pretty rocky in spots, but accessible in any vehicle....

*.... It was a rocky ride for the first mile or so but the road became more graded as we drove to our site.

the first 1/10 to 1/4 mile of road from 191 were a bit rough, but otherwise, aside from a few rocks, easy to navigate with our 25' trailer...."

thanks,

John
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Personally. I'd spend $15/night at 7 mile (7 miles north of Colorado bridge) before I'd mess with that road with a rental. Just north of the 313 intersection off to the left (west) is a free place. Highway tires don't do sharp rocks well in a heavy van.

Horsethief is a good campground since you will be going up there anyhow.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you go to Arches, the campground in the park is about 25 miles in but is close to all the activity. It is primitive but assigned and level spaces. However, it is difficult to get a spot as it fills up quickly every day. We managed to camp there a few times.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #9
Silver Member

Default Red Cliffs National Conservation Area

There is camping available at the Red Cliffs NCA which is about an hour from Zion and is a worthy spot to visit in it's own right. Besides the actual Red Cliffs campground there is a campground at Sand Cove in the eastern tract of the NCA. https://www.blm.gov/programs/nationa...red-cliffs-nca
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
Bronze Member

RV Boondocking in Southern Utah A Frugal Shunpiker’s Guide

Buy this book. Amazing detail of sites and how to find them. Written be Canadian couple who have done or personally.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The NFS guy that posted earlier that the dispersed camping is limited around Moab is correct. A lot of the old areas we used have been closed. Dispersed camping is available but you may have to drive a bit. 7 mile parking is now $20, not $15.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbridges View Post
RV Boondocking in Southern Utah A Frugal Shunpiker’s Guide

Buy this book. Amazing detail of sites and how to find them. Written be Canadian couple who have done or personally.
aha - an e-book. cool.

here is the link.

https://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/adventure.html