Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Crater Lake in Oregon?

Anyone know if it is possible to take a Sprinter based "B" to Crater Lake? Just wondering how difficult the drive would be due to the elevation.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Crater Lake in Oregon?

The roads are very good and easily navigated around crater lake. The only other insight that I will offer is that the campgrounds are several miles from the lake, so you will not have a view of the lake if you camp there...
Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #3

Easy drive to and around the lake. Be aware it snows very early in the year and is not very accessible in winter
sroudebush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I took my big old Bounder up there last summer but was a little cowed by the narrow roads. I would think a Sprinter would do great and plan a future with a Sprinter in mind just so I can go all the places the big rigs can 't.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Check out Lava beds National Monument at Oregon / Cali border. Very nice. Lots of lava tube caves and stars at night. Mount Lassen is also quite close and you must stop in Bieber Cali if you have teenage daughter as I do.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I posted a few photos of Crater Lake here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=22&t=936
We pedaled our bicycles up from the campground. I'll never forget that trip. Stunning views
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:34 AM   #7

Crater Lake is a joy in a Class B. We spent most of a day on driving the lake road with great short walks spots for lunch and cool spots perfect for a short afternoon nap. If you are near there go there, if not plan to get there as the greens are green and the blues are blue. Awesome.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroudebush
Easy drive to and around the lake. Be aware it snows very early in the year and is not very accessible in winter
How early does the snow usually come?

Thanks, Dick
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
Lou
Platinum Member

We took our Class C to Crater lake a few years ago. Once you are up there, the road around the lake is on the outside of the volcano and the road is very narrow, single lane in places. As soon as we found a turn around we went back because I am afraid of heights and it was too frightening sitting in the passenger seat looking down. If you aren't afraid of heights the view is great and you can see a very long way.
The other surprise was that I got altitude sickness. I had no idea what was wrong with me. First I thought I was hungry or caffeine deprived, then I felt dizzy and needing to sit down. We were in the visitor centre and I guess it is a frequent happening because no sooner did I start to feel dizzy than a staff person appeared at my elbow and guided me to sit down. They were well prepared for dealing with it. There were lots of RVs around so I guess the engines didn't have any trouble.
We were happy to see Crater Lake as it was very beautiful and near the visitor centre there are great places to sit or stand and look down at the Lake. The other fascinating thing was driving through the Pumice desert on leaving the mountain in a northerly direction.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote