Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Durango Silverton RR

Headed out in August and want to ride the Durango/Silverton RR (either going West or coming home).

Any reports on the class of service, where to eat lunch, stays at the Durango KOA, parking at the train station, train up/bus back or train up and back ?

Thanks
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default oops, never mind

I've made my reservations at both the Durango KOA and for the Durango/Silverton train ride.

Will report on both upon return later in August.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default just returned

Got back this afternoon - 3765 miles - 9 1/2 days. An 05/06 R/T 190 Versatile. 4 reasons for my (solo) trip:

1) the Wife was having her Brother and his kids, 2 Nieces and their kids at the house for a week of "sleep-overs" and "pool parties" (I'm not comfortable around little kids).

2) to ride the Durango/Silverton narrow gage - what a special treat that was!

3) to visit Sis and BIL in Oxnard, Ca - a good visit.

4) to meet up with 2 "old" High School buddies in Dana Point, Ca - hadn't seen one of 'em in 12 years.

Then, like a horse returning to the barn, I didn't dilly-dally on the way back home.

Averaged 13.8 mpg for the entire trip. Most expensive gas was in, of all places, Ft Stockton, Tx (and, by guess who: EXXON (like they really need the $s..!)).

Saw mostly Class As, Cs and 5th Wheelers - then travel trailers followed by tent trailers and finally Class Bs.

Spotted a R/T200 at the KOA in Durango, a Dodge R/T190V at a hotel in Ventura and a sprinter (does that count?) at the Kingman KOA.

The Durango/Silverton had an internet August Sundays only special of just $45 ($35 savings).

By the way - I like the consistency of KOAs and will use them whenever they fit into my travel routes (don't know why folks bad mouth them - and don't want to hear why).

Each time I travel I seem to see more and more discourteous people on the road - mostly big rig drivers but also a dangerous 5th wheel travel trailer driver on one of the California freeways - East bound near Tarzana, Ca (Calif plates) - that son of a gun is gonna kill someone with his irresponsible driving.
[/img][img]
[/img]
Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default oops

Forgot to mention 1 problem with the R/T:

The initial speed limit on I-40 in Calif is 70 mph (maybe 75?) - then, when the hwy becomes a washboard, it changes to 60 mph - miles and miles of van-jarring washboard..

Later on my drive that day a fellow motioned for me to pull over and informed me that the exhaust pipe from the generator was "hanging loose". (Lucky I was only 4 miles from a repair). (it didn't fall completely away because it is "strapped" to the undercarriage).

Anyway, the exhaust pipe is fastened to the generator with a clamp and I would guess that the the 2 nut/bolts had loosened due to the vibration of that junk highway.

Lesson: whenever you're under the Van and for sure before each extended trip be sure to check those clamp nut/bolts for tightness.

p.s.: the mechanic figured that it was clamped instead of being welded so that if something was to be hit under the Van the exhaust pipe would come loose - rather than take-out the bottom of the generator. Makes sense to me.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I don't have a problem with KOA. In fact we stayed at one in Wisconsin Dells since it was an easy walk of about 1 mile to the downtown area. But if I have my druthers, I prefer state parks in a more natural setting especially if they have electrical connections and decent shower and bathrooms. That is pretty common in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan where we spend a lot of time.

The other factor is cost. We paid $57 at the Wisconsin Dells KOA. We normally pay around $20 in parks. Since we have no kids, the great amenities such as playgrounds, pools, rec areas, movies, etc. are lost on us.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Re: Durango Silverton RR

we took the durango to silverton RR several years ago during the week early june when it wasn't crowded. what an experience. i highly recommend it to anyone. best by far train ride we've ever taken. scenery was beautiful.
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote