Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Extended trip 60 to 90 days

What are your thoughts about an extended trip in the 60 to 90 day range?

I plugged in some places in Street and Trips and limited my pace to average 3 hours driving per day. Streets and trips reported 52 days and $2,500 fuel cost at 17 mpg. So in 60 to 90 days you could see a lot of the US at a leisurely pace. Mix in some longer driving days and longer stops at the places you really like. With some boon-docking, campsite fees could be less than the total fuel cost.

If you were thinking of a mega trip, what places would be on your must see list?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mega trip.jpg (177.6 KB, 1228 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Extended trip 60 to 90 days

That is a little more travel per day than we usually go for, but still pretty good. We shoot for 100 miles per day average, so it if we drive all day one day, we can stay a week, if we choose. It has worked out well for us, but everyone's needs are different. We are planning our first, post retirement, trip along the north side of the Great Lakes, Nova Scotia, LLBean. Blue Ridge mountains for next August/Sept/Oct time frame and are looking at about 6K miles in 60 days, with the option of adding up to 30 days if we really like someplace we happen upon.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Like the idea of an extended trip. Leisurely cruise to see family and friends on my agenda when I find the B of my dreams. But your itinerary misses some of the most scenic parts of the US. May be biased since I moved from SoCal to PNW a few years ago. Coast above San Francisco is a must see. Could go on about OR and WA and BC.
Andiamo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Andiamo11. Thanks for replying.

I agree with you 100% about the visiting the coast above San Francisco and visiting OR, WA and BC. I lived out that way (BC) for 16 years so I got to see a lot of it. That's the only reason I skipped that area in my sample route.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
................ We shoot for 100 miles per day average, so it if we drive all day one day, we can stay a week, if we choose.....................
Good point. That sample above is 200 miles per day. I'll play with some routes and shorten the distance etc. to see what it looks like. Maybe a winter trip map and a summer trip map.

I'd definitely like to hear some suggestions and specific places to visit and what time of year is best, are they closed for winter etc.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Progress Inlaws will stay in the house if we go. That makes it easier. So, I need some help with places to see.

Where would you go / what would you see in South Carolina and Georgia in December or January?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

Looks like a nice trip. Personally I would do a lot of meandering as I am passing through an area taking a lot more time. in areas where there isn't as much I may drive straight through on the interstate. I have been compiling a list of places to see whenever I hear about them in a list under the state it is located. When I plan on going someplace I will look at the list and surrounding states to see what I can sneek into the trip to see while in that direction. The list is to big to post and some may be personal preferance to our likes.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
........... I have been compiling a list of places to see whenever I hear about them in a list under the state it is located. When I plan on going someplace I will look at the list and surrounding states to see what I can sneek into the trip to see while in that direction.........................
Very smart idea - good tip
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You have a very boring route through Minnesota and Wisconsin unless your intent is to visit the Spam Museum in Austin, MN.

I would angle up to Itasca State Park near Bemidji and visit the headwaters of the Mississippi then go east over to the Lake Superior North Shore, back down to Duluth, cut over through northern Wisconsin to Door County and then down along Lake Michigan and rejoin your proposed route.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks Davydd - is mid to late March too early for those areas?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Not if you like to snowshoe, snowmobile, ski and ice fish.

That's weird you would be coming through there and points west at that time of year. Yellowstone is not going to be accessible either.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Platinum Member

First, boring, now weird ...............

I know nothing about the areas you mentioned. I do appreciate suggestions though and need lot's more.
Things to do, places to see in December, January, February, March. Not just for me but for anyone reading this and thinking about a big trip.

Would Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky be too cold in March? I really don't know anything about these places
Old 11-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Hey Marco,

You may be interested in this link.

http://www.climate-charts.com/North-...Index-Map.html

You can find out anything about weather just about any place in North America. I really like it because it gives first/last frost data and all the averages and ranges. We use it all the time when we are planning trips.

Maybe it will make you, and us, less "boring and weird"
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Good data - thanks.
It becomes really clear why all the snowbirds go to FL, TX & AZ
Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo

I know nothing about the areas you mentioned. I do appreciate suggestions though and need lot's more.
Things to do, places to see in December, January, February, March. Not just for me but for anyone reading this and thinking about a big trip.

Would Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky be too cold in March? I really don't know anything about these places
I was assuming if you were going through Minnesota in mid March then you would have to go through Yellowstone, Bighorn Mountains, Black Hills in late February and early March. Those areas will be snowed in, not open and possibly impassable at times. The only people going there are skiers and snowmobilers that time of year. Even if you dropped down to Colorado you will still encounter impassable conditions and closed campgrounds until May. In the northern states, about Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and north, most campgrounds close from mid October to mid May. Between that area and north of the Mason Dixon line (Kentucky/Tennessee; Missouri/Arkansas; Virginia/NC border) campgrounds close from about November 1 through April 1. Would OK, AR, TN and KY be too cold in March? It would be in between dreary weather. It won't be vacation comfortable and could be wet, rainy and stormy. Definitely not areas you would want to travel in late March or April. Now you know why Americans as well as Canadians either stay put and wait or go all the way south.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Thanks again for the help Davydd. I definitely have to split this up into more than one trip and more than one year.
I could head west on a Northern US route if I leave in late summer early fall.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I know a lot of people have done circle USA trips but I think most have been in the summer. However, to enjoy the south from Florida to Arizona it is best to do it at other times than summer. Two trips might be better so you can follow the weather. Also, one trip really becomes an endurance trip for setting personal records but would probably become a blur of memories after a while.

August to mid October would be a great time to explore the northern USA states.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo

Just saw this thread. Sorry for not paying attention.

Yes, for me at least, although we've passed through them in those months.
I would say, in the months you've mentioned above, you'd want to stay south of Interstate 40.
In the southeast, probably SC or farther south. In the southwest, probably the States that mostly border Mexico. Altitude plays a role in weather/climate conditions, so you have to consider that.

Our last trip west was in the September/October range, and many of the western mountain NPS parks were winding down for the season with snow just around the corner. We actually had flurries in RMNP when we decided to drive up the road to Bear Lake. I'm no expert on when and where, but we have always tried to travel according to the expected climatic conditions in our destination areas.

We have gone due south in March, and meandered across the Gulf States, and then we've seen what the weather's like at GrandCNP or BryceCNP and maybe ventured north a bit. If it's too cold there, we stay south and continue west along I-10, or maybe just dawdle along in Texas and Arizona, maybe even get as far west as California. We've seen snow in Flagstaff in March and in October, but that's their climate. Altitude. Then to stay warm and have good highways, we reverse course and head home.

After Labour Day, we usually head due west, along either I-80 or I-90/94 and start as far north as possble when we get past the Badlands (Mt. Rushmore/Teddy RooseveltNP are interesting). Last trip we did these items and then started at GNP and worked our way south along the eastern side of the Rockies doing the NP circuit, and ending up in the Phoenix area. We went to Quartzsite, which was deserted, to see what it was all about (disappointing), and then headed home before the snow flew. Again, planning our return course based on the weather. We usually come home to blizzard conditions as we approach the border, except once.

Lastly, we do the US northeast and the Maritimes (at least we have for the las 3 years) during the summer months, when the rest of the continent's vacation areas are crowded. These 2 areas (except Cape Cod/Boston) don't seem as crowded as the more trendy places which we frequent the rest of the year, and we like to do the slow cruise looking for things to see.

It's been fun and we've had very few weather related letdowns as a result. It's been hotter than expected in some places, and colder in others.

You could do a big loop, and depending on when you start, you could determine where best to start. Late summer start, you could head west through the northern States and then turn south at the Rockies, loop back along the Mexican border States and the Gulf States as the weather gets colder, and then head north and home closer to Christmas. If you wanted to do a 3 month trip. 2 trips might be a better idea, and let the weather manage your timing as to when you head out the following spring.