Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 AM   #1

Default Has anyone been to the Rio Grande Valley area (southern TX)?

Was wondering if this is a nice area of have an extended stay at ? Crime rate ? Cheap parks/c.gr/or National Forests ?? Any advice or tips ? Thanks, Dave.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

We've been in the area. We visited Big Bend Nat'l Park, Marfa and the Ft Davis area a couple of years ago. Is this the area that you're talking about?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo
We've been in the area. We visited Big Bend Nat'l Park, Marfa and the Ft Davis area a couple of years ago. Is this the area that you're talking about?
REPLY: Yes it is, in addition to South Padre Island/Brownsville/on up to Big Bend ? Were you there in the winter months, and if so, how busy was it ? Is Big Bend a huge place to where i wont have any problems staying for 2 weeks approx ? Did you like the area and did you feel it was safe being close to Mexico ? Any tips on what to do or see in this area specifically ? Thanks much, Dave.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Hi Dave,

We have not been to South Padre/Brownsville. We drove from Galveston to Big Bend, via San Antonio. We were following some TX friends on a tour of the area. This was in late November 2005.

I would not worry about being close to Mexico. We felt safe, no problems. Be prepared to be stopped by border patrol a couple of times. We loved the area. You may be limited on how long you can stay at Big Bend. Check the Nat'l Parks website in advance. I think there may be a 14 day limit at each campground. It was busy when we were there, but it was a holiday week (Thanksgiving). It's probably a lot quieter at other times of the season.

Be sure to stop in San Antonio and visit the Riverwalk. It's a lot of fun, lots of great restaurants. We spent a few days in Ft Davis State Park, it was a very nice area, and a nice state park with lots of wildlife. Go spend a day and evening at the McDonald Observatory near Ft Davis (Marfa area). It was really cool to go to the Star Party and get to look through the big telescopes with the astronomers.

You'll need some warm clothes. The nights are quite chilly, days were sunny and warm.

I will send you a PM with the link to our photos.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo
Hi Dave,

We have not been to South Padre/Brownsville. We drove from Galveston to Big Bend, via San Antonio. We were following some TX friends on a tour of the area. This was in late November 2005.

I would not worry about being close to Mexico. We felt safe, no problems. Be prepared to be stopped by border patrol a couple of times. We loved the area. You may be limited on how long you can stay at Big Bend. Check the Nat'l Parks website in advance. I think there may be a 14 day limit at each campground. It was busy when we were there, but it was a holiday week (Thanksgiving). It's probably a lot quieter at other times of the season.

Be sure to stop in San Antonio and visit the Riverwalk. It's a lot of fun, lots of great restaurants. We spent a few days in Ft Davis State Park, it was a very nice area, and a nice state park with lots of wildlife. Go spend a day and evening at the McDonald Observatory near Ft Davis (Marfa area). It was really cool to go to the Star Party and get to look through the big telescopes with the astronomers.

You'll need some warm clothes. The nights are quite chilly, days were sunny and warm.

I will send you a PM with the link to our photos.
REPLY: Thanks for the tips. Ill be going thru Galveston to Galveston Island and i see there is a ferry that links the two ; I assume the ferry will take a Class C 25' across (???) . Im really into astronomy and look forward to viewing the awesome skies in the southwest. I have a set of special astronomical binoculars approx. 3 feet in length that mounts on a sturdy tripod along with many magnification lenses including 200x ; so, i hope to see the green men on Mars when i get down there !
Looking forward to the pics. Thanks much, Dave. Happy Trails.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

We drove across a bridge to get to Galveston Island from the mainland 3 yrs. ago. No ferry.
We we're at South Padre in '02 in November. RV parks were crowded, not so much on Padre but on the mainland. It was colder and rainier there than our home in KS. at the time, (week B4 Thanksgiving)
It's a long drive through TX!

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
We drove across a bridge to get to Galveston Island from the mainland 3 yrs. ago. No ferry.
We we're at South Padre in '02 in November. RV parks were crowded, not so much on Padre but on the mainland. It was colder and rainier there than our home in KS. at the time, (week B4 Thanksgiving)
It's a long drive through TX!
REPLY: Ill be going to Galveston first, then onto Galveston Island. You must have gone from the Mainland to Galveston Island. The way im going, i need to take the Ferry across . I hope Southern Texas isnt too crowded. If it is , then ill mosey on up to New Mexico for a bit, then AZ around Yuma/Havasu City --- blm sites all around there. Dave