Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #1

Default Hwy 395 in California

The route that was before the Interstate 5 and what a gem it is. We didn't get on until after Weed, CA but the drive was totally worth it. It's a well maintained road and heads through some amazing elevations, scenery and towns. It passes through Reno to South Tahoe (great camping) and driving through scenic passes with good roads. We visited the Manzanar internment camp, had the pleasure of speaking with a prior resident and his wife, then on to Lone Pine, CA. Lone Pine has a great western theatre and still has movie sets for the Lone Ranger etc on the outskirts. I'm told there is a film festival every year in October. I'll go back for sure. Further south the Hwy passes by the east side of Edwards Air Force Base and a new solar energy complex. Edwards offers tours by reservation a couple times a month (we were on a deadline) so it's on the list.
Our beautiful Hwy turned into the San Bernadino raceway and so ended the peaceful driving. I recommend this trip early June to avoid cold temperatures as sections exceed 7000 ft. I can't wait to drive the 'north' half!
yvonjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Hwy 395 in California

We crossed 395 back in March on SR 58 between Bakersfield and Barstow, looking to
pick up I-40 east. There's not much (that we could see anyway) out near Edwards AFB.
We did see a lot of windmills, but didn't see the solar hardware. I guess we were too far
away. It's pretty desolate for the next 400 or 500 miles east on I-40, btw. Miles and miles
of nothing.
We stopped for a bio-break at a NM rest area on I-40 and saw this sign .......

The Llano Estacado. It means Palisaded Plains, but i called it the flattest flatlands I've ever seen
after 100 miles or so.

395 sounds really cool. We'll have to try it sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theflatlandswithinthe flatlands (3).jpg (135.5 KB, 1183 views)
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

Highway 395 is one of the most scenic in North America. It has it all. Desert, Mountains, Water, Snow, Sunshine, Forests... all of it. It has taken the place of Highway 180 (Las Cruces - Flagstaff) as my most favorite. The 395 also puts you on to all kinds of great side shows as well. The 30 minutes up the 168 west from Bishop to the Lakes will take your breath away... The left turn in Bridgeport to Twin Lakes is another 'secret' of California beauty that if you dont drive that 30 minutes, you would never know its there... dont miss it. Of course up the 395 and west on the 120 is the ONLY way to go to Yosemite. Nothing compares.... Further up the 395 take the left onto the 89 and go to Lake Tahoe that way is one of the most beautiful drives in the country, bar none. The 395 to Susanville puts you within reach of Lassen Volcanic National Park... a Park too many miss... its GREAT! Burney Falls which is up the 89 (dont miss this either) takes you to the 299 and back to the 395 and on to Oregon.... What a great drive... we have not gone over the Oregon border yet on 395 because there is so much to explore south of that border first.... but we will get there someday....

LivingTheDream
Turn the Key and Smile
2009 LTV Freedom II Serenity
LivingtheDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Mammoth lake area with Mammoth Mt. Gondola ride.Devils Postpile, June Lake loop, Mono Lake ,Bodie ghost town, Tioga pass and Tuolemne meadows are of Yosemite.all amazing. We go once a year in addition to our big trip.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote