Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #1

Default I want to travel around the world in an RV

Around the World in an RV

I'd like to buy a USED etrek E-Trek | Roadtrek as it's the best I think, like an expedition vehicle with good traction and off roading capablilities but better on gas mileage. Would like to meet someone who either wants to split half the cost of the purchase of the vehicle or willing to buy all the gas and do most of the driving and being multi lingual would be a BIG plus, I can also speak Mandarin Chinese, which is a GREAT second language as their always stores and restaurants run by Chinese who I can communicate with. You have to have some source of income as I can not afford to pay your expenses on the trip. I just signed up with this site to post this if there are private messages, it's better that you message me privately then reveal all your contact info on this public forum.
evagoblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Evago- interesting concept. I'm not sure of your experience or resources, but if you haven't done so, you should check in with "Horizons Unlimited" forum
& Expedition Portal.com. Lots of good info & conversation about 'round the world & "Over land" travel. Always been a dream of mine, but I'm kinda stuck with life & family. So pretty much restricted to North & Central America for the time being.
Mandarin will be valuable in China /Asia. Pick up some Spanish & French as well. Lots of English speakers around the world as well & you will always encounter a Brit or Canadian no matter where you go.
All best of luck to you & keep us posted of your adventures.
Ric in Arizona
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #3
Platinum Member

One issue you would have with recent year Sprinters is that they require Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel which will not be available in most of the countries you would be in. You could get an older T1N Sprinter, earlier than 2008 I think, that has the 5 cyl diesel that does not need ULSD fuel. You may also want to look at camper conversions that have more ground clearance than the typical Roadtrek Sprinter if you expect to be able to handle really challenging roads. As mentioned Expedition Portal is a good resource for info on expedition capable vehicles. In any case, good luck, it sounds like a great adventure...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

Thumbs up Thank you to all...what a great site..

The only kind of RV site was Roaming Times but after their renovation there were no classified ads save mine. I will look into them all
evagoblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
One issue you would have with recent year Sprinters is that they require Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel which will not be available in most of the countries you would be in. You could get an older T1N Sprinter, earlier than 2008 I think, that has the 5 cyl diesel that does not need ULSD fuel. You may also want to look at camper conversions that have more ground clearance than the typical Roadtrek Sprinter if you expect to be able to handle really challenging roads. As mentioned Expedition Portal is a good resource for info on expedition capable vehicles. In any case, good luck, it sounds like a great adventure...
A lot of Australians take RV's around the world. You need a diesel engine, that can run on fairly rough unrefined stuff. 4x4 and sufficient ground clearance, are other " to haves" Also do not take a vehicle you can not find outside NA. US Pickups and Vans are not great choices.
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Pontoons might be handy. Otherwise that leg to Fiji would be pretty tough.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
Platinum Member

A US-equipped rig would not be ideal anywhere other than North America.

If you travel to South America or Africa, you'll find that they have the same brands we do, but they are without all the computers and pollution stuff we require here. Under the hood of a Toyota in Africa looks a whole lot simpler.

I think you'd be in for real headaches with something like an E-Trek for what you want. Think more basic!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

When thinking basic, think Cummins 4BT or 6BT with mechanical injection. Nothin simpler nor more common than that!
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
A US-equipped rig would not be ideal anywhere other than North America.

If you travel to South America or Africa, you'll find that they have the same brands we do, but they are without all the computers and pollution stuff we require here. Under the hood of a Toyota in Africa looks a whole lot simpler.

I think you'd be in for real headaches with something like an E-Trek for what you want. Think more basic!
Depends where you go in Africa, South Africa complies to Euro 5 regulations. US Diesels do not meet Euro 5, but you are not going to see many US vehicles in Africa anyway
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote