Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Marina camping?

On a recent trip we spent one night in the RV at a marina in Bathurst, NB. There was a pub/restaurant, a park, beach and nice walks. I really enjoyed it. It's not much of a campground but it was fun to be there. I think it gets really busy there as the summer progresses.

Have you camped at a marina?

You can just see our van:

This guy liked the marina also!

Other campers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 1.JPG (198.4 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 2.JPG (121.4 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 3.JPG (152.7 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 4.JPG (174.8 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 5.JPG (163.7 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 6.JPG (159.8 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Bathurst Marina 7.JPG (198.2 KB, 948 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Marina camping?

Looks like a nice place. I'm not aware of any marinas around here that allow overnight camping.
So which boat is yours? One of the Class "B"s in the next to the last picture or the Class "A" catamaran in the last picture you posted?
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

No boat 4 days here over 90 degrees has me wanting one though

That catamaran caught my eye. I've no idea what something like that costs but it looks ideal.

Link to Bathurst Marina camping http://www.bathurstmarina.com/campground.html We paid $30 for full hookups.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Great idea, no haven't tried it, but wondered about it. We don't usually frequent places with marinas, but realize that they're generally outfitted like land campgrounds for boaters, with hookups and showers (included?) available.
What made you think of it? Just passing by, and saw a sign?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I found out about it last year while looking for campgrounds around Bathurst and thought it would be interesting to try. We don't stay at many private campgrounds instead preferring Municipal, State, Provincial, National parks (pretty much in that order) but will stay in them when there is something interesting to do or see nearby.

Municipal parks have moved up on our list since we moved to a rural place. When we lived in the city we liked to get away to nature so a State or Provincial park was number 1 for us. Now, living in the country, we like to get away to towns and cities..............
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We'll have to try it next time we're out there.
I hear ya on the contrasting living versus camping choices.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Platinum Member

My problem with marina camping tends to be ... too many boats.

I travel with an inflatable kayak and look for lakeside campgrounds whenever possible. I get a lot of funny looks from power boaters when using 'their boat ramp' for my 'balloon boat.' Worse still, the larger lakes attract large boats or (even worse) small boats with large engines (jet skis being the worst offenders - I was almost creamed by one a couple of weeks back). Unless you can get the kayak in and out of the water very early in the morning, its treacherous out there.

Of course, that's primarily on weekends - by Monday, when the weekenders are gone, even large-lake camping can be very nice.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Oceanside California.Camping: Overnight camping is allowed in the Harbor Beach area in Parking Lot 11B year round. Overnight camping is allowed in Parking Lot 12 September 15 to May 15 only. Pay parking lot fees are $8.00 from 4 a.m. to 8 p.m., $20.00 from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m., a total of $28.00 per day. No reservations. Camping is on a first come, first serve basis. There is a 5 night limit in any 30 day period. Pop outs, slide outs, and awnings are not allowed. No Tents Allowed! Barbeques and stoves are not allowed in parking lot area, landscaped areas or sidewalks. Barbeques and stoves can be used on the beach proper. No portable fire pits are allowed.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Just curious. Who enforces all the rules? Is there a "host" that tracks it all? How about overnight security? Maybe these questions are not applicable as it's a gated area?
If we ever get out there again, we'll have to try it. Might be a nice stop in the winter months for a day or two.
Thanks, Stan.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Believe me.They have guys with ticket machine coming by all the time.I watched them give out tickets all day and was amazed that they went out of their way to find out who had the vehicle in question and give them an opportunity go buy a pass.A kinder gentler meterman to be sure.BTW. In the winter they allow people with disabilities to park(camp) free or rather,they did this passed winter.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Last time I was at a boat ramp, it was closed because someone (instead of backing the boat into the drink) drove into the lake with the truck first, boat following, and hydro-locked the pickup's engine. I wonder how often people do that.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I went camping in my boat this summer. My son and I travelled the entire Trent Severn Waterway from Trenton ON (off Lake Ontario) to Port Severn (South-East corner of Georgian Bay) and back again on our 21ft Cuddy Cruiser. The entire waterway is 387km one way. Didn't camp at any marinas but did camp at the lock stations since I bought a season pass. It was quite the adventure and a great time with my son. He's only 9 but took care of the bow line in the locks and when we had to moore. He also saved us a huge problem when he caught a person ready to pump gas into our boat but was going to put it in a pole holder and not the gas tank. If he didn't stop the guy, we would have had our bilge and boat filled with gas.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
Platinum Member

What an adventure! Your son will probably remember that trip forever.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Last year, we went from Trenton to the Peterborough Lift Lock and back. That took us 3 days and it was so memorable, we decided to do the entire Trent Severn Waterway this year. It took us 9 days to do the entire round trip but we didn't really stop much to take in the local tourism. I wasn't sure about time since I only had so much off from work.

This year, they shortened the hours of the waterway making distance traveled shorter per day. Last year, we made Peterborough and back in 3 days with lots of time to spare. This year, it took 2 full days just to get to Peterborough.

On the open water, we would travel about 20 to 25mph but did 30mph across Lake Simcoe. In the low speed zones, we did 6mph max. Met some really nice people from all over. One couple was up from Florida on their boat. Seeing and traveling through all the different types of locks was interesting too. The Lock Masters let my son run the controls once and a while which he loved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Highest Standard Lock.JPG (159.5 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Peterborough Lift Lock.JPG (166.3 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Wildlife.JPG (76.7 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Double Lock.JPG (133.2 KB, 346 views)
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #15
Platinum Member

My wife and I have sat along the side of the channel leading up to that lock, port side, enjoying the view like in the picture with your son sitting on the bow. We spent an afternoon up there a few years back, and watched the locks rise and fall with the traffic. It's a nice way to spend an afternoon, if you've got the time and an interest in lift locks and how they work. They have to be the tallest lift locks on the planet?