Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Rok
Platinum Member

Default "Must Go" Places

Hi folks,

As I've said many times before, we're still fairly new to this, and now we are beginning to plan some extended journeys in our Class B Sprinter. The Question is: Where to Go?

Grand Canyon? The Archs Natl. Monument? Mt. Rushmore? New York City? Las Vegas? Texas coastline? Pioneer Village in Minden, NB? (One Sprinter RV'er had gone there 4 times.) Every time is see someplace in a travel mag or online here and elsewhere, I say, I want to go THERE! And, now we have the capability to do just that.

So here is the question to all of you. What are your top destinations. What are the "must see's" and "must experience's" out there for us. Please tell us your favorite place of all, or if you are willing, your top 10 places in decending order of "must-see-ness".

Thanks in advance.

..........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: "Must Go" Places

Here are some places I'm looking at, in no particular order:

1: Crater Lake.
2: Carlsbad Caverns.
3: Niagara Falls.
4: Corpus Christi museum.
5: Four Corners area.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

I don't have the experience or been around with my B as many others have but I am creating a "bucket list" categorized by states and when I go through that state I check out my list and surrounding areas
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Of all of the places that we have been, the top two places are....
1. Glacier NP vast and remote
2. Chisos Basin at Big Bend NP in this vast and remote park, the Chisos Basin Campground is located at 5,500 ft or so in altitude, surrounded 360 degrees by 8,000 feet peaks. There is no light pollution to speak of for 150 miles or so in any direction, so the night skies are tremendous. You can read more about this at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... Texas.html

The top places that we have not been to in the B, but have on our list are Alaska summer of 2014 and the Maritimes summer of 2015.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Rocky, We have been to many of the above listed spots, and the rest are on our "bucket" list for sure. However, we find the best places are those small towns and roadside pull overs you only find on side roads away from cities.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

"We've been everywhere, man..." Except the Maritime Provinces and South Carolina.

My number one destination is up where georgelesley live -- The Gunflint Trail in northern Minnesota. We haven't got up there yet this year as we opted for Voyageurs National Park and then Ely, MN our last trip. But we got as close as 50 miles coming down Highway 1 to 61 on the North Shore. Then this weekend we are heading up to Little Bass Lake, a private lake north of Brainerd. Running out of time with the Kansas BEE Social coming up because we plan to head on over to southern Utah after, a place we've gone numerous times. I would put that on a must list --Zion, Dixie NF, Bryce Canyon, Staircase Escalante, Captitol Reef, Canyonlands, Natural Bridge and Arches -- a potpourri of different features. For camping, Capitol Reef is my favorite. You camp in the middle of pick your own orchards.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
"We've been everywhere, man..." Except the Maritime Provinces and South Carolina.

My number one destination is up where georgelesley live -- The Gunflint Trail in northern Minnesota. We haven't got up there yet this year as we opted for Voyageurs National Park and then Ely, MN our last trip. But we got as close as 50 miles coming down Highway 1 to 61 on the North Shore. Then this weekend we are heading up to Little Bass Lake, a private lake north of Brainerd. Running out of time with the Kansas BEE Social coming up because we plan to head on over to southern Utah after, a place we've gone numerous times. I would put that on a must list --Zion, Dixie NF, Bryce Canyon, Staircase Escalante, Captitol Reef, Canyonlands, Natural Bridge and Arches -- a potpourri of different features. For camping, Capitol Reef is my favorite. You camp in the middle of pick your own orchards.
Thanks Dave for the mention. All are welcome to stop by. We are on the Lake Superior circle route. Our full profile and info can be found on http://www.boondockerswelcome.com . In fact we have a couple from New Zealand here now.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Of the places we've visited I'd recommend:

Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada - there are numerous Provincial Parks, each with a "feature" such as a waterfall or hike to enjoy. Victoria is a nice city. The Inner Harbour is very picturesque. Our favorite place on Vancouver Island was Pacific Rim National Park - Long Beach campground. Link: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=22&t=616 We'd walk (hike) on the beach for hours. One year we discovered you could bicycle on the beach as the sand was firm enough. We'd stay one week in late summer, no hookups, no wifi ............ If we still lived on that coast we'd visit Long Beach every year.

Las Vegas - you might as well see it at least once - go and park amongst the big rigs http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=22&t=411

Oregon Coast and Crater Lake http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=22&t=936 I'd put them on a must see list for sure.

I'd put the Maritime Provinces on the list too. You really could spend two summer months in the Maritimes. We just spent a week in Nova Scotia and will go back for sure. We saw lots of Class B vans - old and new. Lots of new PW and RT Sprinters.

I'd second the comment about the places that you just stumble upon. We stopped in Pictou, NS, today and thought it was nice place to visit. There were some musicians playing on the porch of a cafe - all very relaxing. It's so scenic all around the Bras d'Or Lake area on Cape Breton Island - a very enjoyable drive.

I just haven't been to enough places to recommend more.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Bronze Member

One neat place we "stumbled" upon was Chelsey, Michigan. On Thursday nights during the summer they have a two hour period of "walking in Chelsey". Numerous musicians and small vendors line the streets, which are full of people just walking about. What a blast!