Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Mexico, 7500' plus elevations

Planning a trip for this summer to see some real mountains for a change. On our last trip, we struggled staying above 40mph on some not-all-that-high hills. Anyone have any suggestions (besides lose weight)?

Thanks,

Dan F
2008 RS Adventurous
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Mexico, 7500' plus elevations

You have a 2008 RS. Does it have the 5 cylinder diesel engine?

When we were looking for an RV, we looked at the Roadtreks built on the Sprinter body. They had the 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel. With the weight of the rig, loaded and ready to travel, there was almost no towing capacity left. It was maxed out. I don't know if the max GVWR was based on engine torque, brake size, or frame strength.

The GVWR went up, when they changed to a 6 cylinder diesel.

If you have the 5 cylinder engine, you should still be able to travel at the speed limit, without much trouble. Even at higher altitudes, you should not have any problems. But, if there is anything wrong, you will probably notice a huge performance difference; because the rig is close to the weight and performance limits.

I would start working through the fuel system: filters, pumps, injectors, fuel quality, etc.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Mexico, 7500' plus elevations

You make me love my 16 year old GMC van with its injection gasoline engine all the more. The higher I get it, the better its mileage becomes with no observable change in power. On a trip to New Mexico last year, it averaged 17-18 mpg once above 5,000 or so feet. I've queried my service GM folks and even the factory and the best explanation was that the on-board computer likes the mixture in the high country better. Back here at 500-2000 feet, it gets 14-16. Go figure.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote