Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Non RV-park type overnight listings

Hi all,
We have a Pleasure Way Plateau TS (22') and like to camp in non-commercial or RV-park (KOA) type places. We understand this means non-hookup dry camping in many areas, but we always prefer pulling into a woodsy spot with lots of trees & space between vehicles, as opposed to the numbered-space, all-in-a-line, RV parks.
We're wondering if someone has compiled or found a fairly comprehensive list of such places, particularly throughout the Western states (CA, OR, WA, AZ, NM, CO, etc.) This could include secret, just-off-the-road pullovers, as long as no one will mind, ticket us, or tell us to move in the middle of the night.
If this question/info has already been posted, please re-direct us to that link, thx.
Teja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Do you have a smartphone?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Sure. What's up?
Teja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We've found The Ultimate Public Campgrounds iOS app (link) to be very useful. It's been more useful out West since there's more government land out here. The app is useful for finding places you can camp for free to minimal cost but it lists everything, so sometimes you drive a ways only to discover it's not worth stopping.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

there are a number of features within various apps, also:

https://freecampsites.net/

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I've used AllStays to find places to boondock. They have a good website: Allstays | Campgrounds | RV Parks

The Alstays site also offers a paid membership, Alstays Pro. I've never joined, so I don't know if it's worth it or not.

They have several great apps for iOS and Android, too. The Camp & RV app allows you to filter the search results to that you can see or hide things like the following:

Army Corp of Engineering
Elks Club places
National Forest
Overnight Parking
Military Campgrounds
Moose Club places
Walmarts that allow overnights
Walmarts that don't allow overnights
etc.

At last report, the Camp & RV app was about $10. It seems like the other apps that the company offers are just subsets of the main app. The subset apps are cheaper than the main app, however. If you only need info on Walmarts, for example, you can get that info by itself in their Walmarts app.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Platinum Member

You can enjoy dispersed camping at virtually all national forests and BLM lands. Free.

You can stop at US Forest district offices and visitor centers for info.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
You can enjoy dispersed camping at virtually all national forests and BLM lands. Free.

You can stop at US Forest district offices and visitor centers for info.
BLM dispersed camping is the best!

Unfortunately, in many National Forests, the undeveloped campsites are poorly and inconsistently documented. You really need to dig in (or find someone in with the in-crowd) in order to find the good ones. The visitor centers sometimes work, if the right person happens to be there. But it is often a very long drive just to get to one.

Oh well, I guess if the information were more accessible, the sites would become overrun, so I shouldn't complain.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
We've found The Ultimate Public Campgrounds iOS app (link) to be very useful. It's been more useful out West since there's more government land out here. The app is useful for finding places you can camp for free to minimal cost but it lists everything, so sometimes you drive a ways only to discover it's not worth stopping.
This is what we use most of the time since only public sites are listed. You can filter it if you want to narrow down the type of places you are looking for. If a site is questionable looking at the map such as can you really drive to it or park there in an RV I then cross check to see if it might be listed on Allstays. Between the two apps you can get enough information. None of the other apps I have used have been as complete.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote