Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default NYC area - Campgrounds, parking & Security??

We are planning our annual Overland Expedition. This time to New York & No. East States. Will have to spend 3 or 4 nights in Brooklyn/Queens. Do NOT want to drive the RoadTrek C190/V into the city! Or deal with parking/security when we get there. SO, I'm looking for a campground on mainland we can use as sort of a staging point to leave the van - catch bus, train or whatever to get to Long Island. We would then spend the night at campground upon our return from NYC. I've googled, studied maps, AAA guides & camp directories. But would like some 1st hand experiences to go by. Has anyone out there done this or have recommendations as to how to go about it?Thanks for any input.
I remain yours truly in Awesome ADVentures & safe Travels!
Ric. in Arizona
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: NYC area - Campgrounds, parking & Security??

Liberty harbor marina in Libert Harbor New Jersey is where we stayed 4 years ago with our big rv. Nice view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty's behind. Light rail is a block away. It takes you to Liberty park (South) get the boat to Ellis Island and Statue or North to the Subway into NY. Boston is doable with your Roadtrek but you can stay at the Wampatuck State park outside Hingham as we did and took the passenger ferry from Hingham into the harbor. It was a spectacular trip through the bay past islands and forts and drops you just blocks from the Freedom trail. I have heard some people stay in Foxboro and take the train but know nothing of that. Look at the MTA Lines website to figure it out. If you Washington D.C. then Cherry hill CG is the place. Located in College Park Maryland. You take the bus from the CG( actually goes into the CG ) To the rail system to get down town. If you get back after the buses quit running as we did on 4th of July, they the CG will send a van. PM me if you need more info.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Stan, thanks so much. That is exactly the type info I'm looking for. I had looked at Liberty harbor, but not sure of my comfort level driving into Jersey City. We are small town/rural folk, not very good at negotiating heavy traffic, especially with the R/T. Had also studied C/Gs to the north. But don't want to be to far out & public transport is important too.
I'll give LibHarb more study & make resv. Soon. We plan to be there mid June. Thanks again. I'll post our decision. S/ Ric.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Traffic could be an issue for Liberty Harbor but we timed it for after rush hour. The only thing that scared me was if I missed the exit we'd end up in the Holland tunnel. Not a big deal for you but we had our 33' Bounder. Weekend night were pretty noisy because of the restaurant/bar nearby but we liked the view. If you don't have problems with sea sickness , really consider the Boston harbor trip suggested above. It was one of the highlights of our trip.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks Stan, we hadn't planned on going to Boston. But may have to reconsider with what you recommend. The plan has been to stay mostly inland after NYC. Into Vermont, new Hampshire & Maine. Maybe then back down Mass. & Conn. Could catch Boston then. Plan to cross PA into W.V. Westward from there. We are allowing 5 or 6 wks as on our Alaska trip in '12. Great times! Regards, Ric.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
Rok
Platinum Member

Hey Stan, Thanks for the info. We ARE going to Boston this summer, and we had set up arrangements with the host hotel of the event we're attending, and the were "giving us a deal" on parking. Looking at the numbers it was more like they giving us THE DEAL on parking--it was extremely expensive. We might try Wampatuck and ferry into town if it isn't too difficult. The nightly fees at the park would undoubtedly be much less than our daily parking at the hotel.

It should be a blast, but the parking situation sounds horrible. I still wonder if it would be safe to leave our rig unattended at a park for several days. It doesn't sound like that is what you did.

Has anyone had experience with doing something like that?

--Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Platinum Member

No.Just a day trip. If you could get a spot by the campground host it would be safer but I think the ferry terminal has long term parking.