Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #1

Default On the Road Overnight Stopping

Is there a list of towns in Canada that have "banned" overnight parking at places like Walmart. The only place I am aware of is Dryden in Northern Ontario, but rumour has it that there are more. Note I do not stop in Dryden anymore (gas food etc) although it used to be a regular stop so the town has now lost my business completly.
Theakerr@magma.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: On the Road Overnight Stopping

How often did you stop in Dryden prior to the ban?
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #3
Gold Member

Try this site:
http://www.overnightrvparking.com/

Although in one spot it says "US & Canada" and another it says "US".... It is $25 a year to register, but it's got a TON of great info!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Probably 4+ a year over a 20+ year period. We used to live just outside Winnipeg and moved to just outside Ottawa so we go back fairly frequently to visit friends and some of my wife's family. In addition all our Children are out west. Dryden was a good place to stop when you left Winnipeg in the late afternoon and a good place to eat before Winnipeg.

Thanks for the link, will follow up.
Theakerr@magma.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Were you actually asked to move along, or did you just see signage in the parking lots you used
to frequent? Often the signs are posted to keep the property owner from being prosecuted. In
some Canadian cities bylaws are passed prohibiting overnight parking, but they tend to fine the
property owners, not the actual offenders. By posting "no overnight parking" signs, Walmart for
example, can say, "we're trying to comply, we've posted signs warning people about no overnight
parking" to avoid prosecution.
If you decide to park somewhere that provides automotive or RV service, like a Walmart (oil
changes, tire service, for example) you could be waiting for them to open in the morning, to get
some sort of repairs or service. If it's a place that provides food or drink, you might be waiting for
it to open in the morning. Usually, the worst that could happen might be you'd be asked to move.
There may be other legitimate reasons to stop long enough to catch a nap, if that's what you're
after. I'd probably take the chance no one will bother me, if I'm tired after a long day. Truck
stops are often exempted, or post signs for the same deniability because truckers are required
to get regular down time.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The old walmart parking lot in Niagara Falls here was (and still is) posted, not sure about the new one. (Different location)

Most unused lots will be blocked off here, locals and owners will probably chase you off gravel lots due to the fact we get a lot of clueless yahoos in rentals that do things like dump their tanks right beside someone's house...
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman
The old walmart parking lot in Niagara Falls here was (and still is) posted, not sure about the new one. (Different location)

Most unused lots will be blocked off here, locals and owners will probably chase you off gravel lots due to the fact we get a lot of clueless yahoos in rentals that do things like dump their tanks right beside someone's house...
The new Walmart located on Oakwood Drive near the QEW & Mcleod Road interchange allows overnight parking. I've stayed there myself ... even though I live in Niagara Falls.

You can get the ALL-STAYS Walmart Smart Phone app (FREE) or the ALL-STAYS Truck & travel app ($2.99) which shows all the Walmart locations in the US and CANADA and tells whether there is overnight parking or not. The truck and travel app includes numerous other locations including Flying J, Pilots, Love, Travel America (T/A), Home Depot, Lowe's, rest areas, travel centres, etc. etc. I use both and they are great.

Just remember that these locations offer overnight parking and are NOT campgrounds. Don't abuse the privilege or we will lose it.

Happy travels

Karsty

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

We've been all over the US over the last 4 years, and have found there are very few Walmarts and truck stops that don't allow overnight parking. Many that don't are in places we don't frequent much any more like Florida and California, so we just use a POI file in the Garmin, or use the function "find place by name", and take our chances that we go to one that doesn't allow pajama parties.
Sometimes the ones with "no overnight parking" signs are either for the adjacent lot or business, or Walmart has posted the sign to limit their liability in the event of problems. You might still overnight there and they probably won't bother you.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
Bronze Member

There is a real nice campground just west of Dryden.....Driftwood, or Wildwood or something like that.....An older guy runs it by himself, free internet that works good, clean washrooms and showers........on left side of road about a mile from town......just saying
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote