Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Parks Canada Discovery Pass

Consider purchasing a Parks Canada Discovery Pass if you like visiting National Parks and National Historic Sites. Link: http://www.pc.gc.ca/ar-sr/lpac-ppri/ced-ndp.aspx

A list of participating National Historic Sites is here: http://www.pc.gc.ca/ar-sr/lpac-ppri/faq ... n-nhs.aspx
and a list of participating National Parks is here: http://www.pc.gc.ca/ar-sr/lpac-ppri/faq ... pn-np.aspx

Current Discovery Pass annual pricing is:
Adult Individual (ages 17-64) $67.70
or a Family/Group (up to seven people arriving together in a single vehicle) is $136.40 - only $1 more than two adult passes.

I think it that it is a particularly good value for the Maritime Provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island).

New Brunswick National Historic Sites:
Carleton Martello Tower
Fort Beauséjour
Monument Lefebvre
St. Andrews Blockhouse

Nova Scotia National Historic Sites:
Alexander Graham Bell
Fort Anne
Fortress of Louisbourg
Grand-Pré
Halifax Citadel
Kejimkujik (Day use only)
Port-Royal

Prince Edward Island National Historic Sites:
Green Gables Heritage Place (Anne of Green Gables)

New Brunswick National Parks:
Fundy NP
Kouchibouguac NP

Nova Scotia National Parks:
Cape Breton Highlands NP
Kejimkujik NP

Prince Edward Island National Park:
Prince Edward Island NP

The Pass only covers admission fees, camping fees are extra but it still can save you a fair bit of money as it is $7.80 per person per day to just enter a National Park.

You can purchase a Parks Canada Discovery Pass upon arrival at any of the participating national parks or historic sites and you can upgrade to a higher-value pass or permit within 30 days of purchasing a lesser value pass such as a daily entrance fee and just pay the difference in value.

We visited the Citadel in Halifax and paid $26 single day admission to get in and park the van. Then we upgraded to a Discovery Pass when we arrived at Cape Breton National Park at Cheticamp. They instantly credited the $26 off the $136 Discovery Pass. So we spent two days in Cape Breton National Park ($31), visited Fortress of Louisbourg ($35) and the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site ($16). We "saved" $108 in admission fees visiting only four places by purchasing the $136 Discovery Pass and the pass still has a bit over 12 months validity period remaining. I'll probably visit Fundy National Park next and that will push us past the break even point for us. You could easily reach the break even point visiting Nova Scotia alone.

I like it because it encourages me to seek out and visit places that turn out to be quite enjoyable that I might have passed by not knowing they were nearby.

I listed only the three Maritime Provinces above. The Discovery Pass is valid in all Canadian Provinces.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Re: Parks Canada Discovery Pass

Marcopolo, thx for the link. The Maritimes are on our radar, and this will help. Thanks!
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Parks Canada Discovery Pass

You won't be disappointed if you go that's for sure. There's lots to see and do.

We really enjoyed visiting the Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site. There are so many interesting things in there. Brilliant minds.
In more modern times he would probably have had a Class B RV!

And the Halifax Citadel - I wanted to see that ever since reading a book assigned by teacher back when I was in high school.

I parked the van right in the "sally port" of the Citadel just like the visitors in cars. The ramp down into the sally port is in the center of the parking. There was more room in the left side parking. My van would be just under 22' with the cargo box on the rear.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote