Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Peggy's Cove, not far from Halifax, Nova Scotia

It was very foggy in the morning on the day we visited Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia. After, we went to Halifax and the weather cleared so we went back to Peggy's Cove in the afternoon. It started raining just as we got there but both visits were worth the trip.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Peggy's Cove, not far from Halifax, Nova Scotia

We stopped at the Swissair Flight 111 Memorial near Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia. It was a reminder to live life to the fullest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swissair_Flight_111

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swissair Flight 111 Memorial near Peggys Cove.JPG (84.2 KB, 1062 views)
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In Halifax we visited the Citadel - National Historic Site - and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The metal framed cots folded up for day use in the barracks.

See my post about the Parks Canada Discovery Pass: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=22&t=2724

The staff were all very interested in what they were doing and very willing to answer any questions and explain what you were looking at.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Nice pictures Mark. Brings back memories. We lived in the Annapolis Valley from 92 to 2002 and went to Peggy's Cove every summer. The kids loved running out on the rocks and trying to see the seals offshore. The drive along the South Shore is a very scenic drive too. We used to cross the province and then take the South Shore to Peggy's Cove. Stop at some of the beaches so the kids could play. The Fisheries museum in Lunenburg was another nice place to stop. Saw the Bluenose there when it was getting some repairs and we were allowed to go on-board and see the schooner.

We only went to the Citadel once but it was interesting. I prefer Old Fort Henry in Kingston ON a little more. The Citadel was modernized a little too much for me.

We also used to drive to Halifax and walk along the waterfront. Nice walk but we tried not to look into the water. The Bluenose was there quite often.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks renrut! Some family members are talking about going to NS again next year are planning to visit around Lunenburg so we'll likely join them. Neighbors visited that area around Mahone Bay this year and highly recommended it also.

I think we have many years of visiting Nova Scotia to look forward to. Amherst, NS is only about an hour drive away.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

How long (late) does the season run in Peggy's Cove? ... and in the rest of the surrounding area?
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I don't know specifically but we start to see reduced services after Labor Day (first Monday of September).

I think of Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October) as being the end of the RV'ing season. Thanksgiving this year is Monday, October 14.

Some campgrounds and visitor centers will already be closed by then so I call or email in advance to find out. Some places will shut down in September after Labor Day school is back in session and visitors drop off.

The Halifax Citadel National Historic Site for example reduces hours of operation from Sept 1 to Oct 31. After Nov 1 and until early May "visitor experience services are limited". Kejimkujik National Park (south of Peggy's Cove) reduces hours from September 3 and closes October 14 this year. Cape Breton Highlands National Park visitor centers are open from mid-May to mid-October.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Platinum Member

The one place I would have to think about going again to is Fort Louisbourg in Cape Breton. Got a really bad case of food poisoning there. The campground owners called the health inspector on our behalf because they said they regularly have campers with food poisoning from the Fort. Even the food inspector said the Fort had a reputation but they have to call to let them know they are coming for an inspection. Needless to say, all the food is brand new and well organized. I got it from a chicken sandwich.

We like the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg. It was one that was included in a season pass we bought for access to Nova Scotia Museums. Unfortunately, it was about the only one that would allow us in. There was a farm between the Bay of Fundy and the South Shore that also allowed us access. Most of the rest that were included on the pass were already free museums. We really got ripped off on the season pass and never got it again.

My wife and I have been talking about going back to see old friends and let the kids go back to where 2 of them were born. I'd like to go back to Peggy's Cove and the Valley to see it again and bring back some good memories.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Another view of the goings on at Peggy's Cove (Sept 2014):

I think there are 12 buses in the photo. Two of them are tandems.

Here's a better view:

It's a picturesque place to visit. We walked (hiked, climbed, scampered) along the rocks all the way back to the info center parking lot. I don't know if it is recommended or allowed but it was a good workout!

2 other Class B's in the parking lot along with a small Class C, small Class A and go anywhere unit from Europe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 buses.JPG (150.1 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg Lighthouse Peggys Cove.JPG (188.6 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg 2 other Class B vans.JPG (227.8 KB, 561 views)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Beautiful.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

As Stan said, Beautiful!

I have got to get my wife a passport. I'm retiring next May and in the heat of the summer, travel to Canada sounds more appealing than heading south.

Is that Peggy in the white gown? I've been to a lot of Maine fishing villages and that's not typical fisherman garb.
Randy
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I didn't notice the young bride having her picture taken.If you look closely at the hem of the dress you may even mistake her for a mermaid.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I think it was a photo shoot for WeddingBells Magazine
http://www.weddingbells.ca/fashion-beau ... our-groom/
https://www.facebook.com/WhyteCouture/p ... 0452144455
Old 11-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Great photo's Mark. Bring back memories from a decade ago, when I frequently spend time in the Maritimes.

I'm from Dutch descend and they sell incredible good tasting smoked ale. Just one other reason to go back.

The whole area has given me fabulous memories from Lunenbourg to Sydney in the north to the Bay of Fundy. Probably time to go back and spend some more time there.
By the way, I almost moved there (Moncton area) permanently about 5 years ago. So that's maybe another reason.

For me it has always been early in the season, April/May. A lot of venues are still closed then, but you have the place for yourself.

Van Williams.

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Truthfully, I was underwhelmed. The day we visited Peggy's Cove the lighthouse and granite outcroppings looked like an ant hill. The harbor struck me as staged for nice tourist photos, with the rustic, paint-deprived boat here and lobster traps piled there. Traffic was a bit of a snarl. (Guess mileage can indeed vary.)