Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

On Saturday morning, my wife and I set out on a short overnight excursion down the Maine coast. We meandered back roads from our home in Bowdoinham down to Damariscotta and on to Pemaquid Point. Pemaquid Point Lighthouse is one of the most scenic and photographed lighthouses in the US. It's on the back on the Maine commemorative quarter minted back in 2003 along with the old 3 masted windjammer "Victory Chimes". The lighthouse itself is open to visitors (6 at a time) who can climb the spiral stairway to the lamp chamber. The attached former lighthouse keepers house now houses a museum of the Maine fishing industry, and another building houses an art gallery. Admission to all 3 is covered by the $2 per person entry fee to the park. If you come "downeast" to the Maine coast, its worth the visit. Nearby Pemaquid Beach has Fort William Henry built in 1690s along with an archeological dig site and it was just off Pemaquid Point that the USS Enterprise captured the HMS Boxer in the War of 1812.

We then followed the coast up to Rockland and then up the east side of Penobscot Bay to Belfast. We were planning to stay at Searsport Shores Campground, but my wife who had been sick earlier in the week was feeling ill again so we cut the trip short and returned home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pemaquid_Page_1.jpeg (63.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpeg pemaquid_Page_2.jpeg (63.3 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpeg pemaquid_Page_4.jpeg (56.4 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpeg pemaquid_Page_5.jpeg (76.6 KB, 313 views)
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

So that's what the Atlantic Ocean looks like! Looks nice to me, how's the lobster?
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

Great photos! I see your van in the 4th photo Hope your wife feels better soon.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote