Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Recognize this place?

During our travels we have always taken slides to remember our trips and the many sights. Five or so years ago we finally moved into the digital age and that changed many things. However we still have several carousels of slides and now a broken slide projector, so I began scanning the slides to put on cd's. We got to this point and are stuck.

Where have we been? With the slides being numbered and the camera's databack showing the date, we have it narrowed down. Somewhere between Roland Cooper State Park, AL and Lake Lowndes State Park, MS we came across this mill. Really a pretty place, but we would like to add a name and location to it. Can any one help?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1989 May-175.jpg (149.0 KB, 795 views)
File Type: jpg 1989 May-179.jpg (115.9 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg 1989 May-180.jpg (143.2 KB, 795 views)
File Type: jpg 1989 May-174.jpg (124.2 KB, 795 views)
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Silver Member

Default Re: Recognize this place?

I can't help you with the location of the mill but I am interested in how you are scanning your slides into your computer. Is it an expensive gadget. I got thousands of slides to do.
dutchduo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

First off I found the name and location of this mill. Dunn's Falls Mill, south of Meridian, MS. And thank to all that viewed this.

Dutchduo: I have a Epson RX500 (printer, scanner and copier - all in one), it is about 4 or so years old. I bought this for a couple hundred bucks then and they have come down considerably since. When I bought it I wanted a way to also scan slides, but didn't think I be doing as many as I am. In the lid, the back panel comes off and reveals a 4 slide holder which fits on the glass and then exposes the backlight for use. The software that comes with the Epson is adequate enough to scan the slides, but lacks terribly in altering, color correcting, cropping, etc. I am in the graphic business and am in the process of trying to start my own design/production business, so I have some professional software to make my adjustments/fine tuning. Photoshop Elements, by Adobe, is not terrible expensive and can do a very rewarding job. It is a basic version of the software that I use and is not that difficult to learn. I have seen ads several ads recently for little scanners for about $100 that scan what looks like a strip of slides, never looked into them much to know anything about them. But you would probably still need software to do your fine tuning. Did look into the HP scanners and they have some nice scanners that will also do slides, any where from 6 to 35 at a time, price (about $200) increases with the quantity of slides. I believe they are the Scanjet series. But they are scanners not all in ones (printer, copier, scanner, fax).

There are all kind of services that will scan slides, any where from 10 to 27 cents per slide, which can get expensive. And then again you'd still probably want to make adjustments to these, so you'll want some software.

Scanning you own slides is time consuming, but rewarding. You can reminisce, while cropping out drunken Uncle George. Hope this makes sense to you and I haven't been over bearing with useless information and rambling ons.

If I can help, let me know.

thanks,

garmp
Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Forgot to mention that during our quest for this mill's name and location we stumbled across an interesting site that we though some of you might enjoy and/or find useful (we did).

http://www.millpictures.com/

enjoy and thanks all

garmp & marmp
Old 01-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Silver Member

garmp;
Thank you for all the information on slide copying.
dutchduo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote