Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Default Route 66 anyone?

Hi all,

I haven't begun my research yet but am just wondering if anyone has any knowledge and or experience traveling Route 66 from Flagstaff area east to Chicago? Any tips, must places to see etc.

Thanks much.

G Man
Old 05-25-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Hi all,

I haven't begun my research yet but am just wondering if anyone has any knowledge and or experience traveling Route 66 from Flagstaff area east to Chicago? Any tips, must places to see etc.

Thanks much.

G Man
Visit the "Singing Road" segment of Route 66. It plays America the Beautiful through your tires.

Address:
Route 66, Tijeras, NM (Just East of Albuquerque)
Directions:
West of town. I-40 exit 170, then drive east about 3.5 miles on Hwy 333/Route 66. Look for the Musical Road signs between mileposts 4 and 5, shortly after Route 66 crosses to the south side of I-40. The road is only musical driving eastbound.

Not well marked so look for the faded blue music sign, drive as close to 45mph as you can, and keep your windows rolled up. It's a little worn down from age so harder to hear clearly than in the video, but well worth it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

There's always Winslow, AZ mentioned in the Eagles hit song "Take it Easy". Besides the famous "Standing on the corner", there are still relics of Route 66 motor hotels. Most closed, but a few are open.

Holbrook is just down the road from Winslow and has an interesting Wigwam motor inn.

And while it's not Route 66 specifically, drive through the Petrified Forrest just East of Winslow. The drive ends at a nice overlook of the Painted Desert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190409_095107.jpg (292.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190409_095301.jpg (332.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.JPG (450.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.JPG (571.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Route 66/I40 takes you by the Cadillac Ranch just as you're about to enter the West side of Amarillo. It was surprising a fair distance off the road (makes it seem very small) and a dust storm was blowing in, so we didn't walk to them.

Since we live on the Texas gulf coast, we headed South from there to get home and out-run the dust storm.

But one more place to see that's not too far off Route 66 is Branson, MO.

Others can fill you in the rest of the way, as we've yet to travel the heartland.

Safe travels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0176.JPG (537.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The Route 66 Motel in Tucumcari, NM is clean, inexpensive and a trip to the past.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
Platinum Member

There are lots of books and websites devoted to the bits of Rt 66 that still survive. Google will keep you busy reading for days.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #7

Default Rt. 66

Winslow has a great Restaurant and Bar in the restored Hotel La Posada. James Beard nominated chef and it is on the Amtrak, LA to Chicago line. (Think train destination is right)
ToogoodooSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToogoodooSC View Post
Winslow has a great Restaurant and Bar in the restored Hotel La Posada. James Beard nominated chef and it is on the Amtrak, LA to Chicago line. (Think train destination is right)
Welcome to the forum ToogoodooSC!
Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I drove 66 from Kingman to Seligman AZ about 10 years ago.

It's worth using it instead of I-40 where they parallel west of Flagstaff. But there aren't enough things to see to go out of your way if you're not already on I-40. Both things are probably true of many segments.

Trip Advisor has over 1000 reviews on Route 66 with 90% being 4-5 stars. Those who saw the TV show growing up will appreciate it a lot more than those who didn't.
ikanode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

I traveled Route 66 last fall, 2018, from Chicago to Burbank. Wonderful trip but can get old. Lots of old gas stations, museums, antique cars, etc. and souvenir shops. I followed the book: Route 66: EZ66 GUIDE For Travelers - 4TH EDITION. It was excellent. Also could not have done it without The Route 66 Map Series
by Jim Ross and Jerry McClanahan, Jim Ross. I am glad that I did it. I followed 66 without a complete plan so that it gave me so much freedom to take side trips... You will be close to the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and the Grand Canyon Lake Powell. Great side trip to Tall Grasses Prairie. I had a blast the entire trip and then on my way home (south Florida) I paralleled route 10 visiting Tombstone, the Alamo and New Orleans. All in all a wonderful trip for me by taking my time and taking many side trips.
sally4157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

We have been about six tours in the last four years. Some National Parks, East Coast, West Coast, and complete Route 66 nine day tour. The main reason we took this Tour was because of the balloon festival in New Mexico. That was the high point of the whole trip. We both agreed that tour was kind of boring and our least favorite.
If you do this trip I think you will see what I mean. I really think that there are many trips that would be money well spent besides this one.
Down Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Oatman on Route 66 between Kingman, AZ and the California border is a small town where mules run free and they stage a gunfight outside the Oatman Hotel.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally4157 View Post
I traveled Route 66 last fall, 2018, from Chicago to Burbank. Wonderful trip but can get old. Lots of old gas stations, museums, antique cars, etc. and souvenir shops. I followed the book: Route 66: EZ66 GUIDE For Travelers - 4TH EDITION. It was excellent. Also could not have done it without The Route 66 Map Series
by Jim Ross and Jerry McClanahan, Jim Ross. I am glad that I did it. I followed 66 without a complete plan so that it gave me so much freedom to take side trips... You will be close to the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest and the Grand Canyon Lake Powell. Great side trip to Tall Grasses Prairie. I had a blast the entire trip and then on my way home (south Florida) I paralleled route 10 visiting Tombstone, the Alamo and New Orleans. All in all a wonderful trip for me by taking my time and taking many side trips.
Sally thanks for the book and map recommendations. Your trip sounds great and is on our bucket list. Sounds perfect.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #14

Default Best Guide for Route 66 by Jerry McClanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Hi all,

Thanks much.

G Man
Have traveled half of the Route 66, from the Art Institute in Chicago just into New Mexico. Plan to resume either this summer or next summer for the rest of the trip. You really need 3-4 weeks to do the trip justice. We purchased several guides, but have found the absolute best is "Route 66 - EZ66 Guide by Jerry McClanahan. You can get it on Amazon for $24.49. Jerry loves Route 66 and updates the spiral book frequently, believe now at 4th Edition. Shows ALL the attractions and side roads that could lead to something interesting. Each page is a map showing East to West, with West to East direction at the bottom of the page. Found nothing better available.
Patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Other worthy sights along Rt 66/I-40... in Texas, Palo Duro Canyon State Park south of Amarillo has both dry and hookup campground. https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon
Tower Station, a restored art deco gas station in Shamrock, Tx.
https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route6..._shamrock.html
If you're launching your trip in Flagstaff, I recommend Mother Road Brewing, where you can drink Tower Station IPA and other craft beers. https://www.motherroadbeer.com/
Old 08-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #16

When you pass through NM, I recommend a stop at “sky city” The Acoma Pueblo if It’s open. The Petroglyphs park is a great stop as well. I live a couple blocks off of rte 66 in Downtown Albuquerque, so wave hi! On Friday nights, the old El Vado motel has a tap room and small venue eateries. Duran’s Central pharmacy, has a little diner with the best red Chile and the best gift shop In Albuquerque.
PRKThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRKThomas View Post
When you pass through NM, I recommend a stop at “sky city” The Acoma Pueblo if It’s open. The Petroglyphs park is a great stop as well. I live a couple blocks off of rte 66 in Downtown Albuquerque, so wave hi! On Friday nights, the old El Vado motel has a tap room and small venue eateries. Duran’s Central pharmacy, has a little diner with the best red Chile and the best gift shop In Albuquerque.
If you stop in NM, be prepared to do a 14 day quarantine.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Enjoyed Route 66 in June 2009 in a 1986 LeSharo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BILD0913.jpg (361.0 KB, 2 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote