Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default The country's most scenic and totally free campsites

Ran across this article at the Roadtrippers.com site. Lists a half dozen places. Undoubtedly there are more out there. Anyone wanting to nominate their own scenic and totally free discoveries for this list?

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/15644501
Old 03-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Team

I wouldn't know where to start--this is one of my favorite topics.

The gold-standard of free camping is "dispersed camping" at National Forests. The rule is that in a National Forest, unless there is a specific prohibition, you can camp for free ANYWHERE you can find a spot. Some of our most memorable nights have been as a result of this policy. A lot of the best sites are poorly documented so it sometimes takes effort, but it is well worth it
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We prefer boondocking , and finding free spots whenever we can, When we went to the Grand Canyon a few years back, there was a national forest 10 minutes south of the gates, we stayed there for 3 nights, and absolutely loved it, there was 2 other class Bs there also, it was quiet, and private, and free, and so close to the gate, we toured around all day, each night,we stayed for sunset, then went back to our site, truly one of best boondocking places for sure, Last summer we went to Newfoundland, and we slept on the ocean almost every night, they are so RV friendly there, we found lighthouses, churches, and just some beautiful parking spots all along the ocean, that is one place I really would like to return to,,,,,, Looking forward to hearing from others and their experiences,,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:50 PM   #4

I love boondocking, too. I use e-books by frugal rv travel, that cover, CA, NM, CO, UT, AZ, and TX. It is so detailed that I can always rely on it and I do not need Wifi access to find campsites. Now I am planning a cross-country trip from Los Angeles to Asheville, NC next May. I wish I could have detailed guides like theirs for east coast states. However, I could not find it. By the way, the Frugal rv travel site is down for some reason. But I think they still sell their ebooks.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote