Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Travel in Baja Peninsula or Chihuahua State

I've dreamed for years of touring Mexico's Copper Canyon in Chihuahua State.
My wife is nervous about travel in northern Mexico. Has anyone any experience to share? Or alternately, about Baja Peninsula?
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig.Evans View Post
My wife is nervous about travel in northern Mexico. Has anyone any experience to share? Or alternately, about Baja Peninsula?
I have no idea whether these areas intersect your proposed itinerary but IMO, Mexico in general is not the safe country it used to be for travel and tourism.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...iraq/23330780/
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've been to the copper canyon twice in my VW Westfalia. Once to Creel for a mt bike trip and another trip down to Batopilas for X-mas. Both trips were a long time ago (late '90's...). Had a blast and encountered no troubles at all.

More recently I've been travelling to Baja in my newer VW Eurovan camper. Last year I went from Brownsville, TX to Mazatlan, Mexico. Then spent a few weeks hitting many of the surf spots down to Puerto Vallarta. On the way back I took the ferry from Mazatlan to La Paz (Baja) and worked my way back up to San Diego. Then took another trip in the fall to some remote surf spots outside of El Rosario. Many other trips around Baja before that too.

Anway, if you go; you will find tons of Americans and Canadians who also drive down there. It's not the same as the US, and you need to be careful and use common sense. But it's certainly doable and a lot of fun in my opinion.
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Is it correct that you need to purchase separate car insurance for travelling into Mexico?
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Is it correct that you need to purchase separate car insurance for travelling into Mexico?
Yep.. I've been buying 'full coverage' for my van and a utility trailer that I tow. US coverage doesn't carry over to Mexico. Thankfully, I've never needed to file a claim. However, I had a fairly severe breakdown in a narrow rocky arroyo way off the highway and needed a flatbed tow truck to get it out. The towing worked out to around $80 and I think I could have made a claim for it in retrospect.

In the end, I was happy to get it all sorted out fairly quickly and didn't think about insurance coverage until after I was already home.

I switched insurance companies when I bought a new van and my new Progressive policy claims to offer Mexican coverage. The fine print tells me that I still need a valid liability policy, but they will cover the collision and comprehensive issues. I was pretty happy about that!
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is a video of a group that made the trip recently. Much of what they share is current and accurate.

I have only traveled during the day and have a semi-elaborate process of making sure we are safe on the main highways and that our real-time locations are being monitored by others.

We have just completed the construction of a home near Cabo and follow the best practices you find when staying in areas where things are not 100% safe.

Be vigilant but not paranoid. Establish a set a routine places to go and network of services should you need them.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Baja, definitely! Smaller group - best. Try to go w/someone who's been there before. A little Spanish is helpful. Don't drink the water. Don't drive at night! Always be kind & courteous - we are guests in Their country.
Passport, Mex.liability ins. & vehicle permit required - maybe tourist visa too.
Definitely go & spend money. Be smart, stay safe have fun.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
We drive down to Guadalajara from Canada every year for 5 years for the winter. We have been through both Baja (go through Tecate) and down through Nogales (Arizona) in Sonora
We are more concerned with potential violence from gun toting lower 48 citizens than any Mexicans we have come across. Common sense is your best defence where ever you travel!
Mikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Craig, if traveling in a diesel van (Merc-Benz Sprinter), be aware that the diesel fuel available in most of Mexico is not the same grade as in the US and Canada.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

What year is your Adventurous?

If you have a T1N Sprinter (pre 2006),
you might be ok.

The new Sprinter with the new emission system (DEF) is definitely a no-go.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Craig, if traveling in a diesel van (Merc-Benz Sprinter), be aware that the diesel fuel available in most of Mexico is not the same grade as in the US and Canada.
Thanks for the caution. I've followed the fuel issue with great interest- apparently, it would take many thousands of kms. before the low grade diesel had an effect on my '08
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote