Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default UTAH early june 2010

making plans for a 2 week trip from memphis to utah in early june. we've been around alot of places between nm, co, wy, mt, uh, id, but this year want to spend more time in less places, and have been researching utah, especially the southern part. any recommendations on the best scenic areas, roads to avoid, campgrounds, boondocking areas, or anything else would be appreciated. so far plan to spend alot of time in arches, canyonlands, glen canyon, gooseneck, possibly monument valley, etc. thanks to all. bob
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo
Default Re: UTAH early june 2010

There are lots of BLM and Forest Service campgrounds just south of Moab. If you take Hwy 191 south, look for the "Canyonland Rim Recreation Area", it'll be on your right as you go south. There are two great campgrounds there, Windwhistle and Hatch Point. You can also find a few that are in the National Forest just a few more miles south, before the town of Monticello (can't remember the name though). Do a google search on Hatch Point campground and WindWhistle Campground and you can find more specific directions on how to get there.

Also in that area just outside of Moab is the Manti LaSalle National Forest. They have a couple of great campgrounds, although they may be difficult to get to at certain parts of the year. The one I'm thinking of is called Warner Lake. It's a beautiful spot!

I have photos of all of these. Please send me a message if you would like to see them, and I'll email the links to you.

Julie
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks, Julie. Sent you a PM.

Bob
Old 05-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hey Bob,
There's a BLM (smallish) campsite (primitive, toilets only) called Big Bend that I just
found out about yesterday from a discussion on RVnet. It's $12/night on a first come first serve
basis. It's 7.5 miles northeast of the junction of 191 and 128 outside Moab at the Colorado River.
As I said we haven't tried it, but it's nestled in the CO River canyon. If we go to Moab again, and I
know we will, we'll try it for sure if it's not full. Moab is great, we always enjoy it.
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/rec ... _Bend.html

There's also Riverside Oasis in Moab. Reasonable rates ($20/night?) for a tent site (showers included),
but they also have full service sites (for more$$). Nice, fairly quiet. Close to Arches NP.
Julie organized the Class B Social in October 2008, and the majority of the group stayed at RO.
She has pics of that too, no doubt.

We also like Bryce Canyon NP. Awesome scenery (Hoodoos) and hiking trails, some quite challenging.
Ruby's Inn just outside the NP is an interesting, historic place to dine. The pot roast dinner (a la carte) is
quite a good sized meal and is tasty, as is the buffet. Save some room for the DIY ice cream cones
or desserts after dinner, they're fun and delicious. Ruby's is pretty much the only game in town, and it's
reflected in the prices. There aren't many good boondocking options nearby, but it might be possible
if you're bold enough to give it a try. There are other places to stay along SH12 in from US89 between
Sevier and Kanab. The contrast between the red canyons and the desert landscapes is dramatic.
If you want less expensive, the town of Tropic is just down the road and has some fast food places, including
a Ma and Pa pizza place which is nice too. It's a tiny town and the hours of operation aren't "big city" so
recon it first, or call from Rubys' to see what's open before you head out. It's another pretty drive through
the red canyons. We took highway 24 south from I-70 west of Crescent Junction/Moab and did a back
route to Bryce last October. It took us through the Grande Escalante region of central Utah. Quite beautiful
scenery and viewpoints along the way. There's Capital Reef NP along SH24 between Caineville and Torrey,
which looked pretty nice as we drove through. Again, we were heading for Bryce, so we didn't stop, but
made a note of it for our next trip. We came into Tropic on SH12 from Torrey where 12 and 24 intersect.
A nice day's drive through many different topographies, and some demanding and startlingly beautiful and
very desolate roads. We stopped at the Kiva Koffeehouse midday to get a coffee for the trip. We waited at the
counter for about 10 minutes while the staff ignored us. So we gave up, and left an appropriate comment on their
website about the lack of service when we got home.
Bryce is best visited after April/May (we've found) as it can be snowy and wet well into the spring because
of the elevation. 2 campgrounds, both primitive, with nearby toilets. Showers are at the Park General
Store, as are laundry facilities. $15/night, showers are $2 for about 8 minutes (we don't use our RT shower).
It also has some "fee free" days listed on the website. Have a look.
http://www.nps.gov/brca/index.htm

Farther south is Zion NP which is quite pretty and has some interesting geological formations as we drove
through it on our way out to I-15 to Vegas last year. We didn't stay there but it's probably similar to the
other NPs.
http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm

I would suggest if you plan on trying National Parks/Rec Areas/Seashores/Monuments/BLM/etc., get an Annual
Pass for $80. Try to get it at the beginning of a month, because they punch the month purchased, and it's
good for one year, to the end of that month, so you'll almost get 13 months worth of admissions to the National
Parks Services facilities if you do (camping is extra)! We got one last year and again this year. It's worth it.
http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

If you are near the southern border with AZ, there's Lake Powell by Page, AZ (also a Walmart there for boondocking
and supplies). It's got camping and boating and some rentals available I think. It's quite nice too. Glen Canyon Dam
is there and it's pretty cool, similar to Hoover, smaller scale. I think the rates for sites are slightly higher, but your
NPS Pass gets you into the Wahweap marina and RV campground. The toilet/showers are pretty nice. Page, AZ is
about 2-3 miles down the road, and has most of the small town amenities including automotive, food, and shopping.
http://www.lakepowell.com/
http://www.lakepowell.com/rv-and-camping/wahweap.aspx

Hope this helps. Sorry for the detail. I tried to cover the western and southern parts of the state.
If I've posted anything that you already do or know, apologies.
PM me or post up any other questions.
Mike.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Bronze Member

thanks, mike. haven't been to the site in awhile so didn't know you posted. your description of moab to bryce is about right on target with what we plan. i hope to visit several of the nat'l parks and state parks on the way. have 2 weeks and most of it will be spent in southern utah. thanks for all the info. i turn 62 june 20th so was hoping i could get a nat'l senior park pass around june 5th or so. not sure if they go by the day of your birthday or just the month. month would work great for us. happy trails. bob
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

No problem Bob.
They go by the month. They punch a hole in the card when you get it, to
show which month you bought it in, and then it's good to the end of THAT
month next year, so get it early in the month and get the extra days.
Or wait a bit and get a senior's pass as they're an even better deal, if you qualify.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Don't dismiss Capitol Reef National Park. It is one of my favorite parks and has a great campground surrounded by orchards where you can pick your own. Also, the drive from Capitol Reef to Bryce through the Dixie National Forest and Staircase Escalante is one of the most scenic routes in the country with major varied changes from high ground forests to deserts and spectacular viewpoints. If you are a foodie like me, the best restaurant in all of southern Utah is Cafe Diablo in nearby Torrey.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Davydd: Mea culpa. I thought my epic post was missing something and that's what I forgot.
We unfortunately were bound and determined to get to Bryce Canyon before dark, and
sadly had to bypass CRNP this time out, but we saw many visitors at the entrance,
and have added it to our likely itinerary next trip through central and south central Utah.
Don't recall seeing Cafe Diablo in Torrey. Was it near the Subway? Or across the road at the
Shell (I think?) station?
Bob: The drive through the back country is quite spectacular. When in the high country
where cattle ranches abound, don't be surprised to round a bend and come upon a
roadside cattle drive, complete with mounted cowboys. We did!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ustripoct09 531small.JPG (95.3 KB, 1698 views)
Old 05-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Cafe Diablo is on the western edge of Torrey so if you were passing through you most likely would miss it because he highway you would travel and make a turn to or from Bryce Canyon is on the eastern edge of town.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Ah, OK. We would have missed it.
I believe we entered Torrey from the east on 24, and then turned south onto 12.
Actually, well before the town proper.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Get your Colorado Gazeteer out, take that Index Finger and index your way to Custer County (page 71) and imagine all described above in the way of breathtaking scenery, great hiking for those who do, some mountain stream fishing, for those who do, and friendly folk in a small town that is but a couple of miles from one of the friendliest campgrounds I have ever found. That would be Zane and Dana Latham's Grape Creek RV Park. Just 36 pull throughs and lots of tent sites amidst aspens giving each unit a view of the Sangre de Christos and several 14ers. Full hookups in 24 and water and electricity in the other 12. Clean shower units and a laundry.

Can't beat that at any price anywhere.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Looked interesting. Emailed them for rates.
Thanks,
Mike.