Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Yellowstone, Badlands and Sioux Falls...etc.

Attached is a trip report of our Labor Day weekend dash from Wisconsin to Yellowstone via Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska and Iowa. I've posted several pics to an album, and the attached includes several more. Hope you enjoy the journey as much as we did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jucy.jpg (129.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ReportSFalls.jpg (36.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg YstoneViewSm.jpg (12.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg ReportSunFlowFieldSM.jpg (304.8 KB, 32 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YellowstoneTripReport.pdf (1.17 MB, 65 views)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Great trip report & pictures. And all from a converted Caravan!

We stayed one night at Bridge Bay last May (the first night the campground opened for the Summer). How nice that you were able to camp "inside" Yellowstone N.P.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We were lucky on all counts with this trip. Our fallback plan if Yellowstone was full - which I expected - was to grab something at one of the numerous National Forest grounds that surround the park, then get to the entrance early to avoid the crowds. But, the breaks went our way. No complaints. Traffic within the park was moderate, at worst.

One other suggestion to visitors is to get off the main loop roads and take the side trips. All we took were interesting, and very few make the turnoff, so you generally have the places to yourself.

We have had our Jucy for a few years now and have no regrets. It is practical and comfortable, with all the comforts for most conditions. And when the wind and rain are too much to prepare meals using the tailgate kitchen, there are usually nearby alternatives.

BTW: In the Black Hills we came across a commercial tour bus that had half the passenger-side windows broken out. The road was so tight that it came up against a rock ledge making a turn into one of the several small tunnels. I'd never take a big vehicle (RV, bus, 5th wheel) on those roads. This bus was "Exhibit A".
Old 09-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Great with and trip, thanks for posting!
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Site Team

Glad you caught the Minuteman Missile site. Many people miss that one. Looking down at that missile in the silo made my flesh crawl.

Did you get into a control-center tour? You often have to call ahead to get into those, since the capacity is very limited. Way cool, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Seeing the control center would have meant backtracking about 16 miles to get the last tour (maybe), and time was getting short. Maybe next time. There is still plenty of reason to go back West.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman53 View Post
Seeing the control center would have meant backtracking about 16 miles to get the last tour (maybe), and time was getting short. Maybe next time. There is still plenty of reason to go back West.
Hey Rocketman. We are planning our first ever trip East in a couple of weeks. What do you suggest we see in your home state of Maryland? Any good parks for camping? What day/night temperatures should we expect for mid October?

Thanks, Roy
Old 09-23-2018, 02:07 AM   #8
Platinum Member

To download or not to download, that was our question? We took the chance and are delighted that we did. Read every word and enjoyed your literate prose, sense of humor and photos. Have you published other such works?
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Have you published other such works?
You can try our 'Round the World blog for an insomnia treatment by clicking the link.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Hey Rocketman. We are planning our first ever trip East in a couple of weeks. What do you suggest we see in your home state of Maryland? Any good parks for camping? What day/night temperatures should we expect for mid October?
Maryland is an interesting state - America in miniature it is called. What are your interests? History...scenic beauty...government...you name it.

October is the month of change from early to late, but the autumn is generally pleasant. Figure on 60s during the day, but understand it could be 90. Nights can drop into the 40s. It has also been very wet here this year. (I'm going home to a basement water mess thanks to over 4 feet of rain over the past 30 days.)

Parks...I'll have to look and ask around. Haven't done much local area camping.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Looking down at that missile in the silo made my flesh crawl.
We were in Moscow in 1984 and met some relatives of a fellow tour member. One said to us: "I sleep well with American missiles pointed at me. I don't know how you can sleep with our (Soviet) missiles pointed at you."
Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman53 View Post
Maryland is an interesting state - America in miniature it is called. What are your interests? History...scenic beauty...government...you name it.

October is the month of change from early to late, but the autumn is generally pleasant. Figure on 60s during the day, but understand it could be 90. Nights can drop into the 40s. It has also been very wet here this year. (I'm going home to a basement water mess thanks to over 4 feet of rain over the past 30 days.)

Parks...I'll have to look and ask around. Haven't done much local area camping.
Mainly planning on seeing as many of these sites as possible: https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/mary...-landmarks-md/

But sometimes relying on website, you may miss something.