Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Charcoal

I was at a fleamarket today and a vendor had a block roughly 5 inches in diameter and 2 inches thick with several holes in it. He says just unwrap the plastic and light it with a lighter in a grill. Wait about ten minutes and it is ready to cook on just like charcoal. He only had 2 of them so I bought them both. Hey, at a buck each how can I go wrong, right. He also said that one last him a couple hours and he could cook for 2-3 people with just one brick. It is really compact and if it is anything like he said it sure beats hauling a bag of charcoal and lighter fluid. He said he could get more someplace north of Detroit but the price would be to high that he didn't think he could sell them so this may be his last ones.
Did anyone ever see something like this before?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Charcoal

I've tried those disposable aluminum pans filled with charcoal and grate cover and found them practically worthless. I mostly buy the Matchlight brand of charcoal that needs no lighter fluid to start.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Nope, haven't seen that. In the C, I'd carry a bag or two of real charcoal bought on sale. I gotta start thinking smaller again.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #4

Location: Usually Ohio and western Pennsylvania but wintering in the sunny south!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
I was at a fleamarket today and a vendor had a block roughly 5 inches in diameter and 2 inches thick with several holes in it. <snip>. He said he could get more someplace north of Detroit but the price would be to high that he didn't think he could sell them so this may be his last ones.
Did anyone ever see something like this before?
Hi,

First post I think. I thought I'd joined sometime ago with the same user name but it didn't come up. If you bought them in northern Ohio, you might well have gotten them from me. I am down to about 6 cases and will only sell 4 of them to previous customers. There are more of those around but my cost is almost a dollar each.

The reason I'm posting is that there are 2 packs being sold at auction. The prices aren't too bad and the charcoal looks identical but they are not the same product. These "spit" flaming bits out few feet. I tried them in a Weber kettle grill and had holes burned in my card tables and other products. I won't sell them anymore but if you see them- just be careful. They would be safe on concrete.

A buck a piece ($2 a two pack) is a reasonable retail price given current auction pricing.

fleamarketeer
fleamarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Can someone post a picture of this? Sounds interesting.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

Location: Usually Ohio and western Pennsylvania but wintering in the sunny south!

I don't have any pictures online of the briquette burning but here's a product shot of the package from a website that's also sold out. Sears also had the single blocks under they're own label.

Here's the website where I linked the image:

http://www.yourstoreonline.net/charb...tml?affiliate=

fleamrketeer
fleamarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote