Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Microwave or combo convection/microwave?

In my evaluations, I discovered that a couple of B converters use combination microwave and convection ovens, rather than a simple microwave oven. I've never used a convection oven, so I don't have a clue as to whether this is a good thing to have. I can see how it would help with some things and open up new possibilities for cooking at a campsite, but have no context as to how often we would use one.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Microwave or combo convection/microwave?

I had one in my B+ but never used the convection part.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have always said that they next time we have to replace the built-in dual oven in our house, I'd like to consider a unit that has a combo unit on top and a conventional oven underneath. I've heard some very good things about ease of cooking for making rolls and browning meat, etc.

But when we are on the road, we prefer to stop at a cute little mom & pop bakery, rather than baking ourselves. I can only count a few times when a combo unit would have been handy for us in our B. I could see it being more of a feature for those folks that like to park in a campsite for a week or more, but that doesn't really fit our style.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

I have the combo and highly recommend it. The convection pizza mode is just like pizza in a regular oven. I also use it for stuffed chicken breasts and have even baked brownies in it. Most of the time I just use the microwave but it is nice to have the convection option.
arvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Bronze Member

We had a combo microwave in our last class A and my wife luv'd it. She baked cakes, pies, etc in it and they were wonderful. We have a ERA class b now with a .9 cubic ft plain microwave and it's our only complaint about this van. You may ask, why don't we replace it? Great idea, however, we can't find a combo that will fit the current opening and there is no room to cut the opening larger to accommodate the 1.1 or 1.2 cubic ft convection microwave. The convection ovens are dimentionally larger buy a few inches due to the additional electrics required to incorporate the convection function. If you can find one that fits your opening, your wife likes to use the oven and you do not have one in your rv, don't pass on the convection!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The combo came with my used RV. Finally found an instruction manual online and use it when I travel. No need to take along extra appliances to bake.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

There are some foods that just taste -awful- when microwaved. For example, frozen breakfast biscuits. I'd far better just let them sit and cook in a convection oven for 5-10 minutes than nuke them for 30 seconds and have them taste rubbery.

I also second (or third) the suggestion, if it is available, go for the convection oven.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
Rok
Platinum Member

We bought our GW Legend SE in February, and of course we've used the microwave many times. We are just learning to use the convection oven, but so far, I've found one thing that it is great for: Toast.

After being on the road, if you go to make yourself a sandwich, you really get tired of it being just bread. Believe it or not, I really began to miss toast, so I learned how to use the convection part to cook it. It might not be the most energy efficient thing, but at least I can have toast.

So, my vote is to get the convection feature if you can.

..........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

We have the combination microwave/convection oven in our GWVan Legend. We also have a combination microwave/convection oven at home but had never used the convection feature mainly because we already had a double oven with convection. There was no need. So, our first two years in the B we never used the convection feature just because we were conditioned to put something in the microwave, set a timer and tap start. This year we figured out the convection part (dang, you have to read the manual) and it makes a difference in the quality of meals merely by the fact you can have baked meals on the road in a small B.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote