Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Short weekend type trips it is easy to meal plan. But when you take a month or longer trip stay lean and buy along the way and experience, enjoy or lament the grocery stores that are not in your hometown. We took way too much pre-planned food on our last month long trip returning yesterday. We just gave our food a ride.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Our van doesn’t stay home enough for this to be a concern. Fridge and separate freezer are never turned off—except the freezer occasionally to defrost it. Drawers are always stocked with dry and canned goods. Some fresh foods are brought into the house to make sure they get eaten while fresh.

We also have a separate wardrobe specifically for the van, so that is packed and ready, too. Before we leave for a trip, I simply inspect each storage spot, replenishing whatever expendables that have been used.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:06 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Don’t leave any food in your van is my advice. Mice are not fun to deal with that one time they visit and can do some damage and gross to deal with.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Well I guess my family follows a more unusual route. We are in the northeast so heat isn't as big of a problem, but we leave quite a bit in the camper between trips. Clothing (vacation-specific anyway), toiletries, food. Because of our GF / and dairy-free needs for different kids we tend to eat specific things while traveling that are not what we normally eat at home. The canned goods, rice, MW popcorn, instant coffee, hot chocolate mix, snack bars, etc. that are leftover just stay in the camper between trips. I suppose mice could be a problem but they haven't been for us yet over the last few years.

For deodorant I like the mineral sticks of potassium alum. They work great for me and last a few years each. No scents to attract animals, nothing messy, can be left in the camper all the time. They don't work for everyone however, for some people they do pretty much nothing. Your mileage may vary.

It has the added advantage that when we use the camper for an unplanned outing we end up have snacks available should they be needed.

I am still bothered by our propane fridge and how long it takes to cool. Our previous RV had a compressor fridge and you could turn it on and go instantly. I would replace it but the prices and delivery times are particularly unreasonable right now.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:13 AM   #25
Platinum Member

I too probably leave too much food in the camper. It's just nice to not have to worry too much and always have something if I thought the wife packed some dinners and she thought the same.

What are your thoughts on those cup noodles/maruchan/ramyun stuff? Too unhealthy for mice? They are closed with a thin plastic lid, but I guess still pretty smelly to sensitive rodent noses.

One solution could be to close off access to the drawers that contain food. Although, I've seen unbelievable things mice (and rats) have done to hard plastic, so some pressed wood wouldn't be a hindrance. ��
Old 06-07-2022, 05:38 AM   #26
Gold Member

Buy a few tins of fancy cookies. Eat the cookies. Store dry goods in the tins.

Problem solved.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote