Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #1

Default 1996 Coach House 192SD

I bought a 1987 Dodge xplorer about three years ago and have loved it. The guy who had it before me didn't like propane and he converted everything to 110V and a 1500 watt inverter on 2 house batteries that was woefully insufficient to run anything while on the road.

I've had some great trips in my xplorer but soon learned that there were some things that I needed that it did not have. I've been shopping for just the right, affordable, Class B for some time and last week I bought a 1996 Coach House 192SD (side dinette) on eBay from Florida RVs in Jacksonville, FL and am flying down tomorrow (1/24/0 to pick it up. I love the layout and it seems to have everything on it that I want/need except maybe a satellite. The chassis is a Dodge B3500 with a 5.9 liter engine.

I am thinking about spending much of the summer on the road with this unit. If anyone has experience with and/or tips about this unit I would really appreciate hearing about them.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #2

I am about to purchase the same vehicle!! I hope you have had a good expirience with it!

Ill be in touch once she lands home.
hopapoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #3

If your model has the two Firestone Rear Air Bags, Make sure you keep them filled at 60 PSI. If your RV sits for a while, they drop in pressure. The van can bottom out and damage your rear tires. Other than that the 3500is very stable and the 5.9 L engine keeps humming with pretty good gas miles/gal.
Hoosier Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Hoosier!

The post you replied to is a bit old, but your observations agree with what I've seen on this forum. And that is the old Dodges seem to go forever with proper maintenance and repairs. They have a big and loyal following.

Stick around and share your knowledge.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote