Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 2006 190 Versatile

We purchased our RT new, and have used it for one season now. We are extremely pleased with it so far. It has an abundance of power on the road, handles and rides very nicely, and we think above average on quality in most areas. We didn't find any other manufacturer that had the fit and finish quality of the RT. Having said that, we still occasionally have small issues that bother us. The frige really struggled on one of our trips down south in 95 degree weather, and it made keeping things cold pretty tough. We have since hopefully resolved that issue, and if it works like we hope this year, all should be well. I think RT attempts to purchase good quality appliances and hardware for their units, but I also think that no matter who the manufacturer, they all walk a fine line on saving a buck. To me probably the biggest draw back to this type of unit, is that you will almost always have to get your parts from a RT dealer, and there are no bargains available thru them. So much of these vans are very specialized parts, and you can't just substitute some off the shelf item in most cases. Aside from that area, I think the RT is a very good choice if you are looking for quality, apperance and functionality.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

What was it you think you did to help remedy the fridge situation in hotter weather?

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Silver Member

Default 2006 190 Versatile

bobojay
The 1st problem was a real easy fix. We had been running the unit at #5 which is the coldest setting on our fridge. It turns out that some times that can be counter productive. It was freezing up the freezer, but degrading the overall cooling ability in the fridge. After using it on future trips, we ran it at #3 and it has performed much better. We didn't stop there however. I also installed an after market system called Snyder's fan kit, which has a fan assembly that installs on the back of the fridge, and when the temp gets to high, it kicks on this fan to help the fridge exhaust this heat and keep the unit working more efficiently. We have yet to try it in above 90 temps though, so stay tuned. Also, I added a very little and inexpensive battery operated fan inside the fridge itself, that circulates the cold air around inside the fridge, and this is supposed to help alot also. That fan was only $12.00 and the Snyder's was $59.95 and for us it was well worth it if it improves the cooling as much as Snyders says it will.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek 190 Versatile

We purchased our R/T this last summer - ultra clean w/8000 miles - it's an '05/'06.

A couple of things that I don't/didn't care for were: 1) There is/was too little road clearance beneath the Van - I found that out the hard way - over a high-crested driveway entrance (not only high-crested driveways and speed bumps but unavoidable chunks of truck tires along the highway). and 2) At just 5' 10" I find the bed too short (unless sleeping crosswise - which isn't practical since I travel with my Wife (and 2 thirty pound dogs).

For fixes:

I added a 2 1/2" lift kit, front and rear, and hacksawed off extra lengths of down pointing bracket bolts - giving me just about 3" more clearance.

and

I've built a twin sized bed frame (out of 1 1/2" PVC) that fits across the Van's #3 & #4 seats, upon which I place a twin sized air mattress and a sleeping bag - that's where I (and an occasional doggie) comfortably sleep. The frame breaks-down and stows in the outside basement storage compartment. Wife in back and me in front allows easy access to the restroom without disturbing one another.

Ref R/T parts only from R/T - above post: I had the combination 2 bulb fluorescent/night light unit (above the #3 seat) "go bad". Called R/T to see about having it fixed and they authorized a complete replacement of the unit, with labor, under warrantee. Very good service, in my opinion.
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote