Old 05-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2015 Winnebago ERA 170C

I was looking for this model. Anybody see this or post it? I kind of think it is pretty good compared to the LTC FreeSpirit SS for a cheaper price but the cabinetry might be an issue. Comments?

[youtube:fdqf7tpa]FG47Wqg3vkY[/youtube:fdqf7tpa]

AL

Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Re: 2015 Winnebago ERA 170C

Yes, a better value than the LTV SS and I like the outside storage in the rear much better.

The 2015 70C has a sliding screen door which was not mentioned in the video...a must have! Also pleated cab shades which opens up the cab area. I don't understand why more B manufactures don't include them instead of those ugly out of date curtains.

Don't need the three-burner stove since we do most cooking on an outdoor grill. Oh, BTW the 70C also has an exterior LP connection!

What concerns do you have about the cabinets?

bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Silver Member

Sad they aren't making it in white, LOVE the white. Love the colors of the inside cabinets, beautiful. Am excited about this unit. Glad to know has a screen door. Also the SS has an electric sofabed. But if this is cheaper than SS would really be great. Really like it. What size tanks?
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I also prefer the white, but I'm glad that you asked about the tank sizes. Here are the Winnebago Era 70C specs and the LTV Free Spirit SS specs for comparison. There's a big difference in the tank sizes. I never noticed that before.

Winnebago 70C
(http://winnebagotouring.com/products/20 ... fications/)
Freshwater tank: 45 gallons
Black tank: 22 gallons
Gray tank: 25 gallons
Propane: 16 gallons
On-demand water heater

LTV Free Spirit SS
(http://www.leisurevans.com/freespiritss ... tml#anchor)
Freshwater tank: 36.5 gallons
Black tank: 19.5 gallons
Gray tank: 42 gallons
Propane: 8.3 gallons
On-demand water heater
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #5

One difference with the LTV FS-SS is that the sofa can be converted to a (short) bed without having to extend the slide, which could be handy for a nap. The 70C needs the slide extended to be able to convert the sofa at all. A small difference and probably not worth the price gap for the LTV.
What I don't see in the 70C, is what they did with the extra 13" on the extended chassis - I know the spec's indicate a 16" difference in the cargo area, but overall vehicle lengths (22'10" vs. 24'1") tell a different story. Cupboard space and bathroom measure out to be the same, storage at rear is basically the same and the bed width is predetermined by the sliding door cutout. Where'd the 13" go?

USAussie
USAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have been working with Mercedes Benz CAD drawings on this recently. The actual length difference is actually 16" inside between the RB and EXT, both on 170" wheelbases. Most of the difference is in the back bathrooms. Because the wheelbases are the same, the design is pretty close to equal from the back wheels forward simply because, I think, the physical restrictions of the van and how you layout and put things in. But then when you get past the rear wheels you have the extra space and Winnebago it seems simply chose to make a deeper bathroom with perhaps a little bit more storage behind the shower where you open the rear doors. In effect, Winnebago did not optimize the 16" advantage over the LTV as both bathrooms are excessively big in floor percentage over most wet bath Class Bs. In effect, a wet bath Class B takes up about 6-10% of the overall square feet of the van behind the cab. The LTV takes up a little over 20% and the Winnebago is around 30%. The LTV is much more efficient as you gain very little with the Winnebago extra length to justify the extra length. The LTV quality is vastly superior, IMO. If it is true you can use and sleep in an LTV without deploying the slide, I would consider a super plus for boondocking, stealth parking, parallel parking and in the general touring spirit of a Class B.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #7

Thank you Davydd!! I've followed your posts and value (and trust) your opinion.
I believe you are correct on where the extra 16" has gone - into the bathroom and a deeper space in the rear behind the shower. I've double-checked their respective (online) floor plans, and assuming they are to scale, the space is in the bathroom.
I too am not convinced on the slide out design. To truly sleep in either van, the slide needs to be extended and wham, zero stealth, which is something I'm really after.
Regarding the EXT floor plan, I would have much preferred if the extra 16" (or at least a chunk of it) had gone into extra rear storage space like the Airstream EXT (I need to carry and store road racing bicycles, much too valuable to leave on a bike rack).

USAussie
Old 10-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Most of Advanced RVs extended Sprinters are designed so one can carry two full size bicycles inside with secure mountings behind the bed. I say most because I am breaking that possibility with my custom bed design. I still may be able to get one in but I am not planning on it. The space will still be good for large things like screen tents, zero gravity lounge chairs, etc. There looks to be enough room in those Airstream EXT Class Bs as well.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #9

I am really impressed with Advanced RV. Innovative designs and inclusions, and very stylish. Love their philosophy and mission, and they are definitely on my short list.
I am however attracted to the dry bath of the LTV and 70C. I haven't spoken to Advanced (yet) about whether they may be able to do a dry bath, but it would probably be at the expense of zoning.
I torn I guess, between the small class C Serenity and Unity and the size and stealth-factor of the Advanced. Decisions, decisions......

USAussie
Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I was really torn about the wet/dry bath issue as well. I rented a RT Adventurous to see how a wet bath really "lives". When we toured ARV, I found the ARV wet bath implementation very superior to the RT implementation. Mike N. indicated he "could" do a dry bath - but IMHO, it might be quite expensive since all the "stuff" under the chassis might need to be rearranged.

USAussie, If you haven't rented a "B", it really is worth the investment. ARV has a rental program, but there are a number of places to rent other manufacturer's "B's" as well. That simple weekend rental really helped my wife and I decide on the ARV for our "B".