Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 AM   #1

Thumbs up 2015 Winnebago ERA 70A first impressions

Having owned my coach for one month, I am supremely pleased. After flying from Orange County CA to Delta OH, I picked up a unit with no problems. After driving to the factory tour in Forest City IA, I still had no issues to discuss with the factory. Taking a northern route home, the road trip through the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, etc. proved to be problem free. The most eventful night was WalMart camping in Caspar WY. In the morning it was 35 degrees, 25 mile per hour winds, felt like 23 degrees. The Winnebago furnace and plumbing worked perfectly.

I rented a 70X in Eugene OR before buying, but found the 2 rear captain's chairs just got in our way. The 70C has a great rear bathroom, but the double bed was just too small. Our 70A has a narrow RV king size bed or it can be 2 twin beds. Plus the ability to convert the front love seat into a single bed allows us to sleep 3. Having the 2 TVs is also great. Each floor plan is good, but for different needs.

I plan on starting the investigation of satellite TV systems next. I would like each TV to be able to receive a different station while in motion. I think the seminars in Quartzsite AZ will help. I also installed a Verizon mobile WiFi jetpack with 18GB this week. It can handle 15 devices at one time.

As a Coast Guard safety technician, I will use the coach for my inspections of cutters, lighthouses, etc. on the west coast. It also will be used for fly fishing, sea kayaking, and electric biking trips. I will also carry my wheel chair bound mother and mother-in-law in it.

I am 61 years old. None of the men in my family made it out of their 70s. So what was I waiting for? If you are considering a RV to see more of your children, grandchildren, and America, I say go for it!
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The 70A is a great floorplan with lots of storage. The small sofa up front is a great place to sit and look out the wide door.

Wanting separate feeds for satellite TV is probably going to complicate your choices - have both TV the same feed is alot easier and their are several ways to do that.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

How comfortable is that little sofa up front? Could it reasonably be used for two people when driving?
mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #4

Default Comfort sitting sideways

The love seat is very well padded and quite comfortable. It does have 2 seat belts, but no one uses them. Some passengers are disconcerted by looking out the window sideways. Some also have a hard time in the front passenger captain's chair looking backwards while the coach travels down the highway. This is just like a rear facing seat in a train. Doesn't bother me, but for some it does. Also, the seat belt/air bag buzzers do not go off when facing backward. I think converting the love seat into the single bed for long trips is preferable to catching a nap in the rear RV king. Less noise and a smoother ride up front, plus closer to heat/A/C, music, and driver conversations.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Looking at the 70x and 70A models. Main concerns are enough fridge/freezer space in the x and comfort of the sofa bed and are the twin beds comfortable to hang out in the 70A or really just for sleeping? Also do they come in white or just black and silver?
Suzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #6

I found having a half refrigerator and microwave down near your feet to be untenable in different manufacturer's floorplans. Even a 5 foot RV frig is shallow and doesn't hold all that much. A microwave at eye level is great. It's also nice to have a small freezer for ice cubes (essential in CA and FL). Hanging out on the narrow RV king bed in my A plan is a matter of spreading out throw pillows, quilts, etc. while watching the rear TV and surfing the internet with a Verizon WiFi jetpack. It is huge, but would not work for someone wanting to play bridge with friends. Getting a 2" memory foam mattress pad from Camping World definitely adds a firm comfort. The only interiors I have seen are cream white in Winnebagos Other manufacturer's dark colors really make the interior look narrow.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeltinge View Post
I am 61 years old. None of the men in my family made it out of their 70s. So what was I waiting for? If you are considering a RV to see more of your children, grandchildren, and America, I say go for it!
Good on you. Enjoy it immensely!
sheral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:53 AM   #8

Thank you eeltinge for your input...very helpful..for clarification I was wondering about the white exterior color. Saw some older models but not newer ones.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:39 AM   #9

The older white ones had wild graphics. Newer white ones are rare. I have a silver one. The subdued gray graphic stripe and side chrome valance help cut the visual height of the coach. Otherwise it can look like a delivery van. My wife now calls it "our Maybach."
Old 12-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
Platinum Member

My father and four uncles never made it past 65. The next generation including me, my siblings and first cousins have done much better. Enjoying the B life while I can.

BTW, ice is essential everywhere.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #11

As to second impressions, I have now owned the Winnebago for 3 months (6,000 miles). Everything still very satisfactory. Only problem on coach was outside shower hose valve connector did not work. Replaced under warranty. Winnebago did recall and installed a new propane pipe at no charge. Just added 1 quart of oil and a little DEF. Otherwise, no problems. Feeling very blessed considering all the other problems many motorhome owners have with various coaches. That's why I bought a Mercedes and Winnebago. Heading to Quartzsite this week!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #12

Thank you!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
As to second impressions, I have now owned the Winnebago for 3 months (6,000 miles). Everything still very satisfactory. Only problem on coach was outside shower hose valve connector did not work. Replaced under warranty. Winnebago did recall and installed a new propane pipe at no charge. Just added 1 quart of oil and a little DEF. Otherwise, no problems. Feeling very blessed considering all the other problems many motorhome owners have with various coaches. That's why I bought a Mercedes and Winnebago. Heading to Quartzsite this week!
Looking at a 2017 Winnebago 70A. How is yours doing? Can you give an update?
I am concerned about cold weather camping and how the 70A is in that regard. Also build quality of cabinets etc.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #14

My ERA is 1 year old and has 20,000 miles. The Automatic Transfer Switch connections are being torqued under warranty now as a safety recall. Otherwise, no mechanical problems. I have camped in 25 degree weather in Caspar WY. The windows emit a lot of cold. You will have the furnace running all night and need to sleep in a sleeping bag. The 2 biggest problems with the coach are the rough ride on freeway asphalt strips and the poor bed cushions. I have installed red Koni shocks to improve the ride, helps a little, but still considering adding rear air springs. Also, looking to buy custom mattresses. New 2017 ERA 170A has blue plastic springs under cushions. Seem OK. Best additions to coach are 2 DIRECTV receivers with in-motion Winegard antenna and 2 solar panels with 2,000 watt A/C inverter and 2 AGM 6-volt batteries. Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
My ERA is 1 year old and has 20,000 miles. The Automatic Transfer Switch connections are being torqued under warranty now as a safety recall. Otherwise, no mechanical problems. I have camped in 25 degree weather in Caspar WY. The windows emit a lot of cold. You will have the furnace running all night and need to sleep in a sleeping bag. The 2 biggest problems with the coach are the rough ride on freeway asphalt strips and the poor bed cushions. I have installed red Koni shocks to improve the ride, helps a little, but still considering adding rear air springs. Also, looking to buy custom mattresses. New 2017 ERA 170A has blue plastic springs under cushions. Seem OK. Best additions to coach are 2 DIRECTV receivers with in-motion Winegard antenna and 2 solar panels with 2,000 watt A/C inverter and 2 AGM 6-volt batteries. Good Luck!
Thanks. Glad to hear all is well with you and the coach.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Any problems with ground clearance with your 70A? I assume you go off the beaten path sometimes with it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #17
Silver Member

Im considering the 70A plan, but that one had the tightest bathroom of the era models. I want to be in this for weeks at a time exclusively. Do you feel it is realistically useable for showers, head, etc???? Thank you
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #18

Default 2015 ERA update

I now have 24,000 miles on the coach. Visited 9 national parks in 14 months. Everything going well. Did have all 6 wheels sliding on black ice in Sequoia National Park. Will upgrade to Michleins when time. Ordered 2 custom 6 inch mattresses from LA military supply for $640. Hope to upgrade to Winnebago FORZA 34T A-class in 3 years for more room and better ride. Trump will help us in Coast Guard. Have a Happy New Year!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #19
Silver Member

We have had our 2017 Winnebago ERA 170a for about 3 months and 9 trips.

the only problem so far has been a bad street water fill fitting, which leaks and will be replaced soon. The new Truma heat and water heater is fantastic! Even I figured out how to use it. We have a 4x4 version so we are about 3" higher as far as road clearance. The bed is really pretty good and I think those moving plastic supports under it work well. Other than a number of small problems related to bad production, we are happy so far with this van.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote