Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Default 2016 ERA 170X Initial Issues

We picked up our new ERA 70X last week and took it on the shakedown outing to Caprock Canyon. The unit drives great--we averaged about 15 mpg on the 500 mile trip (4 people and accompanying gear). While driviing, it does have a tendency to get pushed away then pulled toward the big rig cabs when passing at 75 mph due to the air currents/eddys/vacuum effect created between the two high profile vehicles. It just requires some recognition then active steering to keep things within the lane. Not sure how I feel about the lane maintenance/collision avoidance system yet. It works great, but does tend to become a tedious traffic nanny

When we picked up the unit, our PDI tech did a good job of showing us all the systems, however, we did identify some issues on our trip. I do want to give well deserved kudos to Justin at McClains in Corinth (Nate McClain, take notice) as he patiently helped us identify and resolve an issue on the first day when we had the 70X in the driveway: We had the generator running, but the AC would not turn on (nor would the microwave). He stepped us through a checklist and we identified that the circuit breaker on the Onan had flipped. It is not easy to get to as you must crawl under the unit, remove the panel and flip it back, but nevertheless, we got it flipped and all worked fine thereafter. Here is the email we sent to the dealer today concerning the issues we identified on the trip. Thoughts?

We have identified some issues with the ERA 70X. Can you confirm with Service that we can bring the unit in Wednesday morning, July 1, 2015 to have the cabinet installed and have the following issues taken care of, and get the unit back Thursday, July 2:

Shower does not drain (either clogged or check valve mis-installed?)
Water pump will not prime water lines (water does not flow smoothly, or at all, from galley or head faucets)
Rear Jensen TV has bad pixel (replace TV)
Shower curtain missing clip/ring
Speaker B switch on Jensen unit appears inoperative (please confirm that this is normal)

Mike
www.era70x.com
cameronpatentlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Being new RVers, and a first time buyer you have to remember as you go along that there will be issues that pop up. Think, this is a house on wheels that will shake, rattle & roll stuff loose rolling down the road.
Can't help you with a couple of your issues except a suggestion on that water pump. Did you let it run for a couple minutes with a full or nearly full tank to get all the air out of the lines? Is the water heater full?
Your coach battery switch is probably on the end or side of your kitchen galley cabinet, toward the front somewhere.
Not owning a 70X, we have the A model I can't tell you exactly.....Good luck with your dealer

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Doesn't sound like you had much of a thorough PDI.

I think they'll fix you up on all your items except the TV. They will probably reject that one if it's only one pixel. You may have to argue with Winnebago on that one directly - or Jensen.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Doesn't sound like you had much of a thorough PDI.

I think they'll fix you up on all your items except the TV. They will probably reject that one if it's only one pixel. You may have to argue with Winnebago on that one directly - or Jensen.
Agree on the TV. We have the same issue on ours. Never pursued it though because it's not that noticeable

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:32 AM   #5

Just a follow up on my post. Mcclains fixed everything but the TV and shower ring in less than 24 hours. The TV and shower ring were put are on order and will be in this week. I have to give them high marks for their post sale responsiveness. No fight was put up by McClain's about the TV. The pixel is bad and once noticed it is a tad annoying. I figured if one is spending that much for a vehicle, you might as well get it as right as possible--when buying new, one deserves new quality . I have read McClains get a bad rap in some quarters but so far, they have done right by me. I guess the fact that Nate McClain himself closed the deal might have something to do with that.
cameronpatentlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
70x, class b, era, winnebago