Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #1

Default best Class B for off roads?

Hello everyone,
Looking to purchase a Class B, but as I plan on driving on some rough, unpaved roads to get to remote campsites, I'm concerned with van ground clearance. Obviously a 4x4 will provide greater clearance and better traction (but with less MPG), so is this the best (or only) solution?
Thanks for any help!

Sanford
sanfordzeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
jon
Platinum Member

Winnebago Revel. 4x4 sprinter 144 chassis
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For a more capable off road van than the Sprinter 4wd you can look at Econoline or Chevy vans that have been converted to 4wd. Sportsmobile and others do camper conversions on these.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

Not quite a class B but a Tiger is built for use on poor quality roads. We love ours. Our previous RV was a Roadtrek 190 - too low for the roads we wished to travel on.

A Breed Apart - Tiger Adventure Vehicles
knapph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Is 4x4 Necessary?

We have a short sprinter (144" wheelbase Roadtrek SS Agile) with 2WD. We've driven hundreds of miles of unpaved roads, some of them quite rugged. The clearance has been adequate for all we've done. The shorter wheelbase also helps.

My two cents: I wouldn't want to take a fully uplifted van on any worse roads than we've been on, even if we had 4WD, because the van body flexes as you drive on squirrelly roads. I wouldn't trade our fuel economy for 4WD.
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have a 4x4 Sprinter, full sized. 4x4 is nice for traction (snow/sand). Extra clearance really helpful on rough and rutted roads. But, definitely not a off-road vehicle: too high, too wide, too long, too long between axles and too much expensive stuff mounted underneath.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #7

Default Potential off-road class b

You just might check with Advanced RV in Willoughby, Ohio. They have a great off-road model.
jgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Unless there has been a recent change, ARV only builds on a single platform, the long wheel-base Sprinter. Definitely not an "off-road" vehicle.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #9

You may be right. I just remembered reading in one of their newsletters they had set up one of their models with higher suspension, 4 wheel drive, etc. and tested it in a mud field. Good luck with your research and happy trails.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
Unless there has been a recent change, ARV only builds on a single platform, the long wheel-base Sprinter. Definitely not an "off-road" vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgolden View Post
You may be right. I just remembered reading in one of their newsletters they had set up one of their models with higher suspension, 4 wheel drive, etc. and tested it in a mud field. Good luck with your research and happy trails.
Advanced RV's is outfitting at least 4 short 144 WB 4x4 Sprinters at this time. They have been building on the 170 WB 4x4 Sprinter since 4x4 became available. There video was a test in an extremely muddy field before the Sprinter was converted into an RV. They do build four season capable Class Bs and they do build in VB Air Suspension in their 4x4s. They call their model the EcoRanger.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #11

Thank you all for your helpful responses to my question!
sanfordzeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #12

I happened to checked with Advanced-RV to confirm the following:

Advanced-RV started building on the Sprinter 4x4 chassis as soon as they were available from Mercedes-Benz. Since then more than three quarters of Advanced-RV custom builds have been 4x4 models mostly on the 170” wheelbase but there are at least a half dozen unique, off the grid, lithium battery, high fluids capacity, rugged, 144 4x4 models in production. They are equipped with high capacity fresh, grey and black tanks but some are designed with combined grey/black tanks with macerator toilets and others are using composting toilets. Some have internal tanks to maximize ground clearance.

Mike Neundorfer
www.Advanced- RV
440-283-0405

I hope this gives you additional help in choosing which rv you need for your travels off road.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile of California. They still use Econoline e-350 chassis-which is still made- mated to a fiberglass shell to simulate the old e-350 ford van.

they have the tooling to make it 4x4 and it is the best for off road rocky territory

It is NOT cheap
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:58 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Winnebago Revel. 4x4 sprinter 144 chassis
In my opinion, The Revel is absurdly overpriced and under-equipped. You'd be far better off ordering a custom Sportsmobile, Advanced RV, etc. on the 4x4 Sprinter chassis. It might cost a bit more, but it'll be configured exactly as you want it.

The more I look into class B vans, the more I realized that buying a custom build is the way to go. Even if it costs a bit more, I think it's worth it because it's the only way to avoid compromising too much on the features you want. I haven't yet found an OEM van that has most of what I want, and doesn't include a bunch of what I don't want. And given what these things cost, it's just not worth compromising too much and being disappointed, not even to save a few bucks.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #15

You certainly couldn't have said it any better. Build how you want it, not accept what "they" have configured into their model. Personally, I like the available options Advanced RV has available and feel they go out of their way to make certain you are satisfied. Great post.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Sprinter 144 4x4 is probably the most available platform at the moment.
but I don't like diesel, and I don't like the cost and difficulty of maintaining a Mercedes.

YMMV
Old 07-25-2019, 03:52 AM   #17

My wife and I flyfish and float rivers in Water Master rafts. For the last 14 years we have been camping out of a 16 foot scamp trailer. We pick up a 2013 Pleasure Way Pursuit this coming Monday that we will be taking into the back country along the Idaho/Montana boarder. I will report about our adventures with this Pursuit.
Dave Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The Sprinter 144 4x4 is probably the most available platform at the moment.
but I don't like diesel, and I don't like the cost and difficulty of maintaining a Mercedes.

YMMV
I often wonder about a custom build on Freightliner's version of the Sprinter. Is service on these any more reasonable at Freightliner shops ? They're certainly a bit less garish / more "stealth" w/o that big Mercedes star on the front grill...
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tharp View Post
My wife and I flyfish and float rivers in Water Master rafts. For the last 14 years we have been camping out of a 16 foot scamp trailer. We pick up a 2013 Pleasure Way Pursuit this coming Monday that we will be taking into the back country along the Idaho/Montana boarder. I will report about our adventures with this Pursuit.
Glad to hear from a "neighbor" as we used to have a house in Moscow, Id. We sold our house in2013 and went full time and am researching going smaller. Currently interested in Pleasure Way E-350 Excel or Pursuit or ? Will be watching for your opinion on the Pursuit.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I realize this is an old thread, so for whatever it is worth, a full 4x4 is not necessary. What is usefull, is a mild lift, say 2 inches, plus tall more agressive tread tires. Dual rear wheels is good, plus rear wheel traction control such as a locking or limited slip differential. These mods can be had for under $5000 and provide the most bang for the buck.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, class b, ground clearance, miles per gallon, off roads