Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

Default IntoTheMystery13 Checks out Class Bs

Love this kid's unfiltered honesty, LOL.

https://youtu.be/X_zK2zt0UHs

I like the Travolta too!

JohnMFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMFlores View Post
Love this kid's unfiltered honesty, LOL.

https://youtu.be/X_zK2zt0UHs

I like the Travolta too!

I saw the new Roadtreks.

I agree with him... the cabinets look and feel real cheap.

Don't go for the Sprinters or ProMasters.

The Chevy based RT still have the solid cabinets.
I don't know how long they will keep making them though.

BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
I saw the new Roadtreks.

I agree with him... the cabinets look and feel real cheap.
So what? For cryin out loud, they're not art objects. They are containers to store a lot of junk you most likely should have left home. If they stay open when I want them open and stay closed when I want them closed and don't fall apart, I'm not much concerned how they look and feel. What's next? Criticism over the look and cheap quality of the lid on the commode?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
If they stay open when I want them open and stay closed when I want them closed and don't fall apart, I'm not much concerned how they look and feel.
Well, that's the rub. I think if you look at a few cheaply-built RVs that are more than a few years old, you will find that your criteria may not be met for too long.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, that's the rub. I think if you look at a few cheaply-built RVs that are more than a few years old, you will find that your criteria may not be met for too long.
You're undoubtedly right. But that's not the category I'm addressing. I'm talking about cabinetry that might be "cheap" quality and perhaps not aesthetically pleasing but for practical purposes is still quite functional for the life of the coach. The reality is that there is a bottom line selling price that has to be respected and IMO, it's better spent on favoring higher quality active appliances over passive cabinetry.

Sometimes it goes over the top. For example, the Galleria delivers with expensive cabinetry that would bring oohs and ahs at the Antique Roadshow but to meet their bottom line sell price they equip with flooded cell batteries and provide no inverter. Say what?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:33 AM   #6
Platinum Member

The cabinets are generally what people get their "perception" of quality from, for the most part. I've often argued that some vans with fine millwork are put together very poorly and others with vinyl covered plywood cabinets put in years of trouble free service.

But if we want to argue who's are the best from a durability standpoint - it has to be Airstream Interstate. The all welded, aluminum frame cabinets, with laminate inserts are by far the strongest cabinets you can get, and in all likelihood will outlive the service life of the van in which they are mounted.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
But if we want to argue who's are the best from a durability standpoint - it has to be Airstream Interstate. The all welded, aluminum frame cabinets, with laminate inserts are by far the strongest cabinets you can get, and in all likelihood will outlive the service life of the van in which they are mounted.
Well, the Interstate(s) you've seen are a far cry from the one I used to own. Warped doors, rotten wood due to hidden leaks, wood bracing hanging by one screw, peeling plastic veneer everywhere, rusty untreated penetrations (ALL of them), rotten wood-framed skylight, uncrimped coax cables, leaky PEX connections, rattling bed, mis-sewn upholstery, misaligned velcro, curtain snaps with unset rivets, plastic door slides glued in place with adhesive that let loose in two years...

It was really quite amazing. The Interstate has its pluses, but build quality is not one of them. And, when we shopped for a replacement in 2014, the models at Hershey were no better. By then I knew where to look.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Well, the Interstate(s) you've seen are a far cry from the one I used to own. Warped doors, rotten wood due to hidden leaks, wood bracing hanging by one screw, peeling plastic veneer everywhere, rusty untreated penetrations (ALL of them), rotten wood-framed skylight, uncrimped coax cables, leaky PEX connections, rattling bed, mis-sewn upholstery, misaligned velcro, curtain snaps with unset rivets, plastic door slides glued in place with adhesive that let loose in two years...

It was really quite amazing. The Interstate has its pluses, but build quality is not one of them.
Considering they now charge $170k for one, you'll be happy to learn they've made some progress since 2005.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Considering they now charge $170k for one, you'll be happy to learn they've made some progress since 2005.
You missed my edit. As of 2014, I saw little improvement, and the chatter on the Airstream forums seems to confirm this.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 AM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Even PleasureWay is changing...

They are famous for their solid maple cabinets.
Now they have this white curved door cabinets -- made out of lightweight semi-hollow composites. I don't how well they can stand up to the test of time.

BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote