Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Opinions please. Chinook Concourse 21'

Hi everyone. I looked but ould not find a thread on Chinook Class B rvs.

I am considering a purchase.

2004, Ford 350, duallys, 60,000 miles.

Of course, it's on one side of the country while I am on the other.

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all!
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I like the chinooks ( the real ones) and we came close to a 2004 E450 Chinook Glacier XL which was amazing but...the bed is in the middle of everything and was smaller than the bed in the van we bought. MPG on that was expected to be closer to 8 and parking would have been tight here at home ( but do-able).

so my opinion, chinooks are great- check if the layout works for you. some like to leave the bed made up, some like to make up house everyday ( and I wonder where do you stash the bedding?)

the ford drivetrain may have some slight concerns or foibles but any issues would be well known on the millions of E350's running around and parts or services anywhere but anyone with parts from napa

-------------just looked there are a few chinooks show up on my PHX craigslist both private and dealers- the glacier looks like the one we checked out at $18,000 more, 2 years later!

many would consider the chinook a class C

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Bronze Member

This particular Chinook Concourse is 21'......which is why I like it for my use. It is a 2004 consigned unit with 60+ thousand miles. Asking $46k.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debra View Post
This particular Chinook Concourse is 21'......which is why I like it for my use. It is a 2004 consigned unit with 60+ thousand miles. Asking $46k.
There is a tradeoff for the Concourse involving the floor plan. Locating the door on the rear of the coach does create unique floor plans but the tradeoff is that using a hitch for towing anything or even a bike rack is a non-starter if this is important to you.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
There is a tradeoff for the Concourse involving the floor plan. Locating the door on the rear of the coach does create unique floor plans but the tradeoff is that using a hitch for towing anything or even a bike rack is a non-starter if this is important to you.
Can you have one big bed in one?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Can you have one big bed in one?

Bud
There may have been some equipped that way but typically they have a tight double pull out bed mid ships on the driver with either a dinette or a couple of chairs on the passenger side.

For their age and mileage the value of these vintage Chinooks holds up well. There are currently a number of Concourse coaches for sale on the RV Trader website with some excellent photos of how they lay out. Checlk them out. One plus is the really large reefer included for a coach this size. However, their engines are thirsty and you can expect around 8 mpg.

If you haven't already surfed this website, it's a great read:

http://www.tincantourists.com/wiki/doku.php?id=chinook
Old 12-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:

Good Point! Thanks.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:55 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
There may have been some equipped that way but typically they have a tight double pull out bed mid ships on the driver with either a dinette or a couple of chairs on the passenger side.

For their age and mileage the value of these vintage Chinooks holds up well. There are currently a number of Concourse coaches for sale on the RV Trader website with some excellent photos of how they lay out. Checlk them out. One plus is the really large reefer included for a coach this size. However, their engines are thirsty and you can expect around 8 mpg.

If you haven't already surfed this website, it's a great read:

chinook [Tin Can Tourists Wiki]
Wow! That was a great read. Thank you very much for the info.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I like the chinooks ( the real ones) and we came close to a 2004 E450 Chinook Glacier XL which was amazing but...the bed is in the middle of everything and was smaller than the bed in the van we bought. MPG on that was expected to be closer to 8 and parking would have been tight here at home ( but do-able).

so my opinion, chinooks are great- check if the layout works for you. some like to leave the bed made up, some like to make up house everyday ( and I wonder where do you stash the bedding?)

the ford drivetrain may have some slight concerns or foibles but any issues would be well known on the millions of E350's running around and parts or services anywhere but anyone with parts from napa

-------------just looked there are a few chinooks show up on my PHX craigslist both private and dealers- the glacier looks like the one we checked out at $18,000 more, 2 years later!

many would consider the chinook a class C

Mike
A really cool feature on the Glacier which you generally only find on a Class A is the HWH computer controlled four point leveler system.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Here is a link that has a pdf on a few chinook models.
It gives information such as features for different models.
http://www.chinookrvclub.net/Chinook_Website.pdf
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I don't have a rear entry Chinook but I do have a rear entry American Cruiser. I love it. I had a friend custom make a front receiver so I can hit the road loaded up and still get in and out of the back of the camper. We leave ours set up in the twin bed configuration and set up our dining/living area outside under the awning. If it is cold or something else is going on outside and we want to be inside, we have a small folding table we lay on a bed when traveling and keep in the cab when parked and not in use. We pack our food in one tub and that sits in the driver's seat and our clothes in another and that sits in the passenger's seat. There is another little storage area where the table normally goes (under one of the twins) and that is great for shoes and such.

We really have plenty of room and a great time when it is not 2 of 3 - cold, windy, rainy.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote