Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #21
Bronze Member

We have a 2016 SPrinter Sportsmobile. It has steering wheel menu controls (we ordered that from MB when we bought the van). There is a DEF gauge in the menu system. I find that when it reads 1/4 tank low, it will take 1 gallon without overflowing. Our salesman told us that it is their recommendation to keep the tank topped up because it reduces the amount of air in the tank, which in turn reduces the the amount of DEF that sort of evaporates out and turns to a white crusty substance. I have generally followed that advice. When we are on the road, when I notice the level getting near or below the 3/4 full level, I try to stop at a Wal Mart for a gallon, which i put in ASAP and then dispose of the bottle. I try to avoid transporting DEF in the van for any distance because it is so corrosive. At home, I'll buy the larger 2 1/2 gallon bottle and add it as needed since I don't mind storing that in my garage.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #22

Hi there I have a pleasureway 2018 with 2017 sprinter 3500 chassis and there definitley is a DEF guage. A crazy looking thing with what look like spouting snow flakes...
To access: it is through the left stearing wheel buttons as you scroll through the menu which I believe has the miles/kms travelled etc. But I have to scroll and push and hope I can find it, I must admit. The right hand stearing column buttons come into play as well. personally I refill every 3-4000 kms travelled and so far so good. (20,000 kms travelled so far)
MB engineers ensure that nothing is intuitive for the North American brain.
If problems, stand on one foot, scratch behind an ear or possibly search U-tube. cheers Rogerbc
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #23
Platinum Member

If the fill cap is screwed down tight, DEF is not going to evaporate. It is only corrosive to some metals or your eyes. I get it on my hands all the time. It rinses away easily with water and no trauma to the skin.

FWIW, urea is used in cattle feed to promote protein production, and is also approved for human consumption. In other words it's not corrosive to human or animal flesh. Do a Google, if you have your doubts about that.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #24
Bronze Member

rsmitch2@gmail.com is right about the menu location of the DEF gauge. I had to go out to the van and look because it has become 2nd nature to me to find it. It is in the trip odometer menu, 4 up from the bottom or entry point of the menu. As far as the corrosive and other qualities of the DEF are concerned, I'm not going to argue. I'll simply say that we have about 36,000 miles on our 3500 in a bit less than 3 years of use and have had no mechanical or other problems with the engine or drivetrain. It is maintained according to the MB maintenance schedule.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Default DEF Guage

Obviously, not all Sprinter Vans come with the same connections to the in dash computer. I jus checked mine in my 2015 Mercedes, 2016 ERA, and there is no trip odometer in the menu. I do have all of this in the OBD port to which I have plugged my ScanGuage 11.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #26
Bronze Member

I don't know what difference the model year makes. I suspect that the steering wheel controls make a difference at least in the 2016 model year. Frankly, I didn't order the steering wheel controls for the DEF gauge. I ordered them because the last few cars and SUVs we owned had them and I have grown used to them. I'm glad we have the gauge. The dealer told us we could expect about 9000 miles on a tank of DEF. Since the tank holds about 4 1/2 gallons, that should mean that each 1/4 of the gauge should represent about 2000+ miles of driving. The problem is, the actual usage varies quite a bit between highway cruising and stop and go crawling. If I didn't have the gauge and I wanted to top off with a gallon regularly, I would wait 2,000 miles just to be sure it wouldn't overflow, although sometimes a gallon wouldn't fill it.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #27
Mfm
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Which sensors are you referring to, exactly?
NOx sensors
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I will refrain from editorializing about the likely quality of anything a Mercedes service advisor tells you.

Check your manual.
I've got one on my 2017 cab chassis. I also have the steering wheel buttons. The DEF tank level is in the same menu as the "range" and the "stats since start" and "stats since reset" menus. On mine there are 4 displays in that menu, DEF tank level being one.
I read elsewhere that there may be some dealer soft/firm-ware updates that may "enable" the DEF tank level gauge on some pre-2017 Sprinters. With steering wheel buttons?