Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How Do I Get Rid of Mice in Our RV?

How Do I Get Rid of Mice in Our RV?
By Mark Polk

I am by no means an expert on pest and rodent control, but after researching the subject I can offer a few ideas that seem to work for other RVers.......

The first and most important step is to try and prevent mice from being able to access you RV. This can be difficult because they can enter the RV through some very small areas. Start by inspecting the underside of your RV for any gaps or holes. Fill these gaps using silicone or expanding foam. A word of caution, if you never used expanding foam before you should experiment with it on something other than your RV first. When it dries it can expand a great deal more than you expect.

Next, open drawers and cabinet doors inside your RV. Look in all of the corners and crevices, especially where plumbing and wiring enter the RV. If you can see any daylight mice can get in. Again, fill these areas with silicone or foam.

Mice also enter through vents like the furnace. You can purchase wire mesh type covers from your RV dealer that can be installed over these vents. Many RVers suggest you spray some type of insect spray (that contains mint oils) around the tires to discourage mice. The only problem with this is you would need to do it every couple days. I don't recommend any type of poison. It can take several days for the poison to work and the mice will usually die somewhere that you can't find them. If this
happens you may never get rid of the smell.

Other RVers recommend using mothballs throughout the RV and in storage compartments, if you don't mind the smell of mothballs. The alternative to mothballs is dryer sheets, like Bounce. People swear they work and the smell is much more pleasant. If you are close to where your RV is being stored you may want to use conventional mouse traps and check for mice every few days. The only problem with traps is the bait can actually attract mice. Of course you will want to remove any food from the RV that can also attract mice.

Happy Camping,

Mark

Copyright 2006 by Mark J. Polk owner of RV Education 101

RV Expert Mark Polk, seen on TV, is the producer & host of America's most highly regarded series of DVD's, videos, books, and e-books. http://www.rveducation101.com/

Sign up for your free "RV Education 101" Newsletter http://rveducation101.com/email/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Mark_Polk
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote