Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #41
Platinum Member

My 2017 Transit / Paseo came with extenders, but I had problems with them leaking so I removed them. To install the TPMS sensors I had to remove the outer wheel. The stock transit valve stem layout really sucks.

I'm fixing this long term by replacing the factory wheels with the aluminum dually wheels from Custom Wheel Solutions (these are the same wheels offered as an option by Winnebago on the 2018 Transit).

On these wheels the outer wheel valve stem is on the outside and very easy to access. And the decorative holes through the rim are large, and lined up with the inner valve stem to make it more accessible. From reports I've read from people who have these wheels, you can fit a hand through to access it.

Currently the lug nuts are out of stock but expected to be back on stock in the next week or so after which my new set will be shipping out. I'll report back once I get them installed.

The one downside to this solution is you lose the ability to do a 6 or 7 wheel rotation pattern. The CWS wheels only replace the fronts and rear outers, and the fronts are different from the rears, not reversible. So you are limited to side to side rotations.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #42
Platinum Member

My 2019 Pleasure-Way Plateau FL (3500 Sprinter) came with Alcoa outer aluminum wheels and inner steel wheels on the rear.

On the front, the Alcoa wheels had metal valve stems - fine for use with screw on TPMS sensors.

On the rear, the outer Alcoa wheels also came with metal stems - except that they face inward rather than out and so are not suitable for installation of TPMS sensors.

The inner rear wheels are OEM steel wheels and have rubber stems and rubber extensions - no good at all for TPMS.

After reading that other owners were happy with the product, I bought this kit of all-metal stems to resolve the problems with the rear wheels.

DL1SPAL Chrome Duallyvalve Kit

You get two reverse curve metal stems to use on the rear outer Alcoa wheels - that puts teh valve stem threads in the normal outward facing orientation and you can use TPMS sensors.

You get two extra long metal stems (no extenders that could leak) for the inner OEM steel wheels. they pass through the hand holes in the outer wheels and there is a large rubber "filler plug" that fits into the hand hole of the outer wheel to keep the stem stabilised and centralised - it too works fine with my TPMS sensors.

A local tire shop installed the kit for me and I have had them installed for several months now - very happy to have the TPMS as I have no spare tire with our van!

Brian.

DL1SPAL Chrome Duallyvalve Kit
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:23 AM   #43

Testing my forum skills. Helpful info.
The Doxie Chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air pressure, tire pressure monitor, tires, tpms