Old 08-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Default '04 Pleasure Way battery system

My Pleasure Way Excel-TD works fine hooked to a shore line or with the generator running, but doesn't work on the battery. I've made sure the fuses are good, the breakers are set, the red 12v cutoff handle is properly positioned, and the battery is charged. I'll start pulling things apart today and testing with my meter, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious or if someone has encountered this before. I read there are three 30A fuses that I must remove a panel under the seat to see, so I'll start there.. removing the square head screws (strange place to put fuses). I'm also wondering about the transfer switch. Thanks in advance!

MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

What specifically are you referring to when you say it works fine, the 110 volt outlets? If so, you will need an inverter setup to make them work. If you have an inverter, is it working? How is it wired in?

'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
What specifically are you referring to when you say it works fine, the 110 volt outlets? If so, you will need an inverter setup to make them work. If you have an inverter, is it working? How is it wired in?
I'm talking about the 12v system.. lights, etc...

But it turns out one of the high amp resettable fuses fixed the problem when I pushed the button on the side. I didn't know there was a button but had measured voltage on both terminals so assumed it was okay. I dont quite understand how that's possible, but the battery is driving the 12v system fine, now.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 12:49 AM   #4

... And, after more careful study of the transfer switch, I now understand it is only for switching between generator and shore line. It has nothing to do with the 12v system, other than deciding who gets to drive the converter!
Old 08-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Hi Steve, many thanks for your nice replay. i'm also confused with the response. How everything is good with the volt 110?
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Everything works fine off of shore power because shore power is providing 120V to the household electrical portion of the rig as well as the converter which takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC to power all the 12V stuff and charge the battery.
When the 12V system doesn’t work, it’s usually because the 12V converter breaker has tripped. That sometimes happens after unplugging from shore power or turning off the generator. Just push the little reset button in and you’re good to go again.
The transfer switch has nothing to do with 12V and is purely a way of managing the two methods of obtaining 120V power to the van so you don’t accidentally provide both at the same time and really mess stuff up.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
BL
2006 PW Plateau TS

bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote